Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 20-03-2003 , 07:33 AM

lounge with statue

I have started what will be (hear hear) my last project in Maya PLE, since I have just 2 days ago coughed up the required bucks for the real thing... But since I couldn't stay without doing anything until it arrives, I have started this new project. It is my FIRST ever attempt to organic modelling, so if it sucks you know it is going to get better...

Sy

Last edited by silviapalara; 20-03-2003 at 07:37 AM.
# 2 20-03-2003 , 08:20 AM
Subscriber
Looks good. Good deal on no more PLE.

# 3 20-03-2003 , 09:30 PM
Yeah, I can't wait for the UPS guy...
Downside: I can't hide my crappy stuff under the logo anymore...

Sy
# 4 21-03-2003 , 07:35 AM
Is it always so difficult to model a head??????????
I am trying to make the head of the statue, and it's testing my patience....

Sy
# 5 21-03-2003 , 07:37 AM
Here is an attempt for the head... If I met this person on the streets I would sh...t myself...

Sy
# 6 21-03-2003 , 07:40 AM
Subscriber
oh come on it ant bad. if there was crap we can see it through the logo stuf. Crap tends to be bigger than logos...

I'm doing my first head right now.. it is hard. Especaly from scrach.

but care for some pointers about this model ? You probly know what I would say though seeing as your still not happy with it.

# 7 21-03-2003 , 04:36 PM
You bet I care about pointers on the model!!!! Why am I posting it here for?
But since I don't have a clue of what I am doing, you should also include how to solve the problem... user added image
I am going to redo the eyes and the ears in a different way, hoping it works. The nose is just driving me nuts...

PS: -3 days to Maya without logo... CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Sy
# 8 22-03-2003 , 12:52 AM
Subscriber
ok well what are you using, polys, subD's ? and I could be more of how to help if I could get a screen shot of your mesh, if subD's.

first things that strikes me is the cheak bones under the eyes. from this shot they look real flat. Its eather that or the aireas around the cheaks are to full, drownding out the detail there. Well with the cheaks like that it makes it look rather alien. Thats the thing that seems to be the worst contributer to this not looking how you want. pull them out some how..

also to eather side of the eyes is a bit to shalow.

a nother idea I have is your trying to do that statue. it dosn't seem like you have good ref pic's to work off of. My idea is that you use some reff from a difrent face. and get a good basic face shap and thin it would be eazyer to tweek to get her to looking like the statue. I will be on latter and I will post some progress post on my model for the challinge. so I will post some steps and pointers there.

Like the face I only have a fruntal shot of the face that I want for my robot, but I am using a side view of a difrent face to get me close to normal thin I can change it some to get it looking more like I think the girl looks.

Have to run to pay some bills though.

# 9 22-03-2003 , 07:33 PM
Wow thank you so much for the help!!!!
Unfortunately I have had trouble finding pictures that were from a different angle.
The face is subdivisions, started with a subdivision sphere and went from there. Subdivision surfaces can be great for the effects they can achieve but sometimes they just don't do what I want.
I have tried to rework the eyes and Maya crashed each time... I
mean, my poor system is already frying with this, and I still have plenty of things to put in there!!!
Anyway, the statue in the final shot is supposed to be in backlight in front of a series of windows, so it doesn't need to be perfect for this specific project. But I wanted to see how good I could make my first organic model.
Pony thank you so much for the help, you are great!

Sy
# 10 23-03-2003 , 01:09 AM
Subscriber
Oh your welcom. I am half way done with my face on mine in the challenges. If you like I could post a bunch of pic's of the blow buy blow of it there. I though to start saving a bunch of them incase you were intrested.

Let me know how it gose.

BTW converting the subD head to polys, using veticys setting will probly help you computer not crash. The poly rep of it is not as smoth and takes a little imajination sometimes about how it would look smothed.. but it makes it more eazy to work with for thoughs of us with a weeker computer. you can always convert right back to subD's when your playing with it.

I have a 1.5 gighz comp. but I only have 256ram. witch is all eaten up with my model already.

I also crash to. I get the blue screen of death !! basicly I think what happens is with the subD's and all the tencilation going on. view changes etc. it might be over heating the grafic card.

that and the ram don't help prob..

# 11 23-03-2003 , 01:13 AM
Subscriber
also if you want I can make some copys of the front and side of one of the girls I'm modeling. you could use that to get a idea. Just let me know if you want it.

The back lighting sounds cool. I'd like to do that also.. maybe for the robot challenge. let me know how you did that if you would please.

# 12 26-03-2003 , 04:51 AM

I'm back

Notice anything anyone... Like NO LOGO??????? user added image

So I started it again, trying to use what I learned from doing the other. Subdivs are tricky!
For the back light, I will let you know how I do it once I get to it. I have no idea just now. I learn as I go along...
For some reason, the one in PLE seems cleaner-looking, but I'll be damned if I know what I did and how to repeat it...

Sy

Last edited by silviapalara; 26-03-2003 at 04:53 AM.
# 13 26-03-2003 , 06:26 AM
Subscriber
cool

# 14 26-03-2003 , 10:18 PM
The dress took quite some time and several trials...

Sy
# 15 27-03-2003 , 07:33 AM
nice work on the dress, tho it looks like you have a bit of crossing geometry, but that could just be the lighting.

also there seems to be something wrong around the tits. maybe add a bit more geometry there, to remove the folds in the skin.

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S