Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 46 26-04-2003 , 07:07 AM
If you want Stars and Nebula, i can make that. Give us details of what you want. As far as using mine, depending on what your game is for, you'll need to talk to me in private. I have to give your Copy right permission.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 47 26-04-2003 , 07:35 AM

Originally posted by Ultragames
If you want Stars and Nebula, i can make that. Give us details of what you want. As far as using mine, depending on what your game is for, you'll need to talk to me in private. I have to give your Copy right permission.

Yep
I just want a nice looking space background - how specific is that! :p

Stars and nebula would be good, not sure if planets are a good idea, one or two small ones would be fine though (mabey a moon in one corner or something?)

It can look reasonably cartoony, although the one I'm currently using looks quite good, and it's not that cartoony..

In terms of copyright (this goes for everyone), I will obviously not use anything which you guys provide unless you have given me explicit permission to, and you will be credited within the program.

I mentioned this before, the game is not for commercial benefit, anything I make will be available to download for free etc.

# 48 26-04-2003 , 07:16 PM
Subscriber
<---begin legal mumbojumbo---->
I hereby authorize ANYONE to use ANY and ALL pictures i post in THIS THREAD, for use in this game or any other game. For free or sale. I only request credit, and that you have FUN!
<---end boring crapola--->

Well heres another way we can do it. I'll send you what i come up with, and you gimme some feedback. This is just some quick stuff. Let me know. Saved in psd BTW, with like 12 layers = )

<--------EDIT ammendment to Lega bull---------->

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2

Last edited by Vectorman; 29-04-2003 at 01:41 AM.
# 49 26-04-2003 , 07:19 PM
Subscriber
don't know if i like this stuff really....but its a start.

PS as i said b4, the health is actually EXACTLY ontop of the original. I can flip rotate or do whatever cause its in PSD.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
# 50 26-04-2003 , 07:28 PM
Subscriber
We could have an alpha image one pixel wide and as tall as the helth bar to dissolve it away. Just to give you an idea heres a pic:

It would be really nice if the "WARNING" could blink relatively fast. Or maybe it would be right in the center of the screen.

Last edited by Vectorman; 26-04-2003 at 07:33 PM.
# 51 26-04-2003 , 09:46 PM
*cough* i didnt work on the info bars.. but i wasnt sure what the dimensions where? I guess ill just take one of the pics and go from that.

Im kinda new to this... but ill try.

(starcraft does rock)

# 52 26-04-2003 , 10:19 PM
okay.. i got in over my head trying to do the console part...user added image user added image sorry i couldnt do it...

But i tried to make a weird.. white plasma shot. heres a clip of it and i plan to make a fire ball,, and a lightning ball. Or.. i should say try so dont count on anythinguser added image

# 53 27-04-2003 , 01:25 AM
Cool Vectorman!
Looks good

And I guess it can be scalled up or down, so size doesn't really matter

I'm not sure about the font, it's clear though, it's got that going for it over the 'mission space' font.

The alpha fading idea is perfect
I was trying to do that, only I didn't really have workable images to do it with, so it didn't work :p but I think that'd be really cool user added image

twisteddragon33 - no problems, just have a go at whatever you feel like buddy, if something doesn't turn out it doesn't matter

That looks like a good start (it beats what I've got so far :p )

I programmed a scrolling credits last night, it's funky
:banana:

Last edited by PappaSmurf; 27-04-2003 at 01:31 AM.
# 54 27-04-2003 , 04:32 AM
What are you using to make the game? I can assist you in Java programing...

I am also very good at creating game interfaces. If you want my help for any of this, PM me.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 55 27-04-2003 , 04:55 AM
I'm coding the game in C (not C++)

Most of the game "engine", is done, only a few things remain to be done (sound being the main thing), and interface (menu's etc.)

# 56 27-04-2003 , 06:13 AM
Subscriber
Okay, i will start posting images in TGA. Do you have photoshop or can you read PSD? If not thats fine too. I will do some more work tomorrow. What exactly do you wanna see on the HUD screens? So far i'm aware of the following:

Health, shields, energy, score, Weapon info (large area), and to somehow make that all robotic. Let me know in the next 12 hours if i forgot anything. Otherwise i will start on that tomorrow b4(and probably work more after 9pm) 2pm EST Time (GMT-5).

Last edited by Vectorman; 27-04-2003 at 06:15 AM.
# 57 27-04-2003 , 06:24 AM

Originally posted by Vectorman
Okay, i will start posting images in TGA. Do you have photoshop or can you read PSD? If not thats fine too. I will do some more work tomorrow. What exactly do you wanna see on the HUD screens? So far i'm aware of the following:

Health, shields, energy, score, Weapon info (large area), and to somehow make that all robotic. Let me know in the next 12 hours if i forgot anything. Otherwise i will start on that tomorrow b4(and probably work more after 9pm) 2pm EST Time (GMT-5).

Ok sounds good

I have photoshop

Thats all good

I'm not 100% sure if I'll use energy at the moment, I was going to use it as a "rate of fire" indicator (the more energy you have, the higher your rate of fire), sort of thing. But I'm thinking of leaving it out, but as I said, not sure yet

For the weapons, I just want an area where it displays a picture of the weapon (can be a picture of the projectile) and the projectile name, and some boxes with the weapon numbers indicating what weapon the user has selected... I wont be too specific, more freedom for you user added image

EDIT: I'd like to go for the sort of "technical" look, umm, green is good :p

EDIT: MASSIVE PIC :p

Cheers
user added image

Last edited by PappaSmurf; 28-04-2003 at 01:40 AM.
# 58 27-04-2003 , 06:33 AM
Subscriber
RIGHT sounds great! So i'll post JPG and PSD at the same time (so they can see, but i will compress at lowest quality). LET ME KNOW if you decide different, but as of now i will forget about the energy completely (and no i didn't start on it yet, for that specific reason!).

Also i'd like to say, the reason i'm gonna put real effort into this is the following:

I love making/editing games (got into 3d graphics by editing quake 1 !! ID SOFTWAREE IS GOD!!!!) and got into graphics and eventually liked them better. So i can't explain how FUN it is to be able to make graphics of any kind for games and not have to worry aobut tweaking, and the CODE! I like coding its very cool, but i never learned enough of it. Just html, basic, and VisualBasic(yes,yes, to be technical html is markup, NOT code). So yah THIS IS FUN! SIMPLY MAYA RULEZ! Mad F'n props to Kevin, Dave, Kurt, ADL, and all the other mods ,a co creators i didn't mention.

Really this is sooooooooo fun.

# 59 27-04-2003 , 07:14 AM
hehe, I'm glad you have such a love for PC games user added image I do too

Yes, carmack/iD is GOD, imagine where we'd be without them user added image

:p

# 60 27-04-2003 , 11:59 AM
I just completed a pretty large chunk of code which I've been working on for ages and it works - I can load and play AVI files now user added image

:banana: