Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-11-2003 , 10:38 AM

walk help

hi, I'm animating my t. rex, and I'm using the technique demonstrated in the Maya character animation book, group the ik handles in the feet to add controls and then have the position of the pelvis equal the average of the location of these the two feet groups. but, as I've been animating, I find that this method often has really jerky movements, and the pelvis often just stops. is there a way to get around this? or is there a better way to set up my character and animate him? if anyone can tell me or direct me to some tutorials, I'd appreiciate it. thanks in advance

# 2 01-11-2003 , 05:10 PM
https://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutori...ongputer/bone/

Try looking at this tutorial, its for a dragon but I think it might help you out. Also if you look at Jurassic Park or the dinosaur show on discovery channel you will notice that the t-rex's spine will move the upper torso from side to side, he also leans forward considerably when he walks. I would use a spline IK solution from the root joint up and a IK solution for the head. You get some really great movement with that solution. A book called Inspired 3d character setup has a great rig for that. It also has a great solution for the pelvis movement by using expressions. If you live in the US go to borders with a pen and paper and look at that book for some ideas regarding your T-Rex and or maybe the tut will help. Let me know if that helped out, and if you can help me out in thread Rigging a Gun holster it would be appreciated.

# 3 05-11-2003 , 08:49 PM

# 4 06-11-2003 , 01:32 AM
great looking T-Rex, here go my comments.

1. Step - Stop - Step, seems to robotic. Have it more fluid, less of a pause between first step and second.

2. Have the head start to rotate with the first step.

3. The leg goes into the body, you might have to solve that by some weight adjustments or maybe by deformer.

4. Have the tail swing out more. I love how it starts to swing out but then I feel like "Man why didn't it keep on going."

5. Have it go a little faster and add an extra step.

6. Where is focal point for the dinasour? Where is its prey? Make sure to have that in mind when animating the head.

I hope this helps

# 5 06-11-2003 , 04:34 PM
Once i get online at home i can help you out.=)

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb