Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 25-07-2012 , 01:06 PM

Moving fluid clouds

Hi, all,

Couple of questions you guys and gals might be able to help me with user added image Firstly, I'm doing an orbital shot, that is a shot from orbit looking down on a planet, and a nuke goes off. I know the fireball and shockwave would be fluids as is or in combination with sprites, but how do I make a cloud layer that gets pushed away by the force of the blast?

On a similar subject, when dong fluid clouds, I've only ever come across ways to do it by using static grids. Is there a way I can make clouds that can be affected by fields?

Thanks in advance,

Calvin user added image

# 2 25-07-2012 , 06:35 PM
The thin red line
To push the clouds away use a radial field the shape of a cylinder you will have to play with the settings to get it to work right, the only problem I see in using fluids is the sive of the contain would need to be big. You might want to look into using some thing like a torus emmiter and emmit nparticals?.............dave

Last edited by daverave; 25-07-2012 at 06:39 PM.
# 3 26-07-2012 , 04:06 AM
Yeah, the size of the fluid container was something I was thinking about too. Maybe sprites or something would be more economical.

My first idea was making a texture of the clouds from animated fluids and apply it to a sphere slightly bigger than the planet.

I'll give that torus with nParticles a try. user added image But I'm still open to other suggestions as well, if anyone's got any user added image

# 4 26-07-2012 , 07:28 AM
The Nurb Herd
What's the scene scale?

# 5 26-07-2012 , 07:34 AM
I don't have the scene in front of me right now, but its not very large. The planet/sphere is really only about 100 units across maybe. And the settings are default Maya settings, which I think is in cm.