Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 15-03-2005 , 11:33 AM

HELP_maya stops responding

Hi Everyone.
Every single time I render a single frame using Mental ray after a few mins maya stops responding.

This happens regardless of what scene, how heavy the mesh, how many lights, wether dmap shadows or raytrace low res or high res.

I assume it might be a hardware problem Im using a P4 2.8gig 1024mb 533 mhz ram. Geforce 5600 PM800 motherboard.
Im using maya 6

I have searched the net for answers, and read many other forums and stuff but still cant find anything that will help.

Pls pls pls help if you have any idea why this is happening before I pullall my hair out.

thanks in advance.

# 2 15-03-2005 , 06:31 PM
Maya always "stops responding" when I render. At least thats what XP says. In reality, it is rendering. Create a simple scene (something that should render in a couple of seconds) and wait some time. It should render it.

If it doesn't...well...then you have a bigger problem user added image

# 3 16-03-2005 , 10:44 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Looky.

It was seriosly not responding, even a simple scene, but I found the problem lay in a trial version of anti virus software that was installed on my machine, since I uninstalled that programme MR renders fine.

# 4 16-03-2005 , 03:07 PM
Subscriber
what was the software name, so that others can be on guard?

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 5 16-03-2005 , 03:20 PM
It was Bit defender.(winsoft)

Im now using nortons again as protection, but disable it when I start up maya. It seems 3d programs and anti virus apps dont get on.

# 6 19-03-2005 , 06:41 PM
Subscriber

MR probs

I also have problems with mental ray. Mine also says that the programe has stopped repsonding. Even with a sphere, a plane and a spotlight it does not work.

How did you find out that it was your anti-virus software causing the problem. Perhaps one of my apps is interfering.

Thanks,

Forlax.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

AIM: tomohawkcg
MSN: marc_d_thompson@hotmail.com
# 7 19-03-2005 , 08:33 PM
Subscriber

Problem Solved

Okay I resolved my issue.

I searched the internet with the error message from the output window. Not too surprisingly, it threw up about ten pages with those two familiar words: Zone Labs.

For those of us who were stupid enough to buy Zone Labs, even more stupid to install it, and even more stupid still to use it, then shutdown Zone Labs and restart maya. Then render again with mental ray. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Also, if anyone happens to live near Zone Labs offices, coujld you please take a wet kipper and slap every techie in the house with it. You're co-operation is appreciated.

Thanks,

Forlax.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

AIM: tomohawkcg
MSN: marc_d_thompson@hotmail.com
# 8 24-03-2005 , 05:35 PM
Subscriber
Sygate Personal Firewall is a better choice. Free and non-intrusive and you have the same ease of controls as with ZoneLabs. ZL software firewall is very very intrusive on not only Maya, but tons of other apps hehe.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy