Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 17-05-2005 , 11:50 AM

my very first model

Hi guys, i'm a newbie here!

Using maya for 5 months alreay and this is my first character model for my final exam in one of my major subjects in ADNU. 20 hours of modeling and texturing. 1 min render using maya softwares.

https://img231.echo.cx/my.php?image=samurai47vy.jpg

https://img231.echo.cx/my.php?image=samurai50pv.jpg

https://img231.echo.cx/my.php?image=asmurai60yt.jpg

critics are welcome.

And one more thing, this character is based in the mini movie, animatrix, the character named duo. I turned him into 3d and if you will compare, there are only few slight differences from the two.
here`s a link of duo so everyone can relate.......

https://www.projectbag.com/animatrix/...vision5_07.jpg

and my latest render using mental ray

user added image

# 2 17-05-2005 , 02:26 PM
Looks pretty cool. Although kinda hard to see the details of the textures cuz of your white background. First model eh? Mustve had alot of hard work put into this! Good job!

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 3 20-05-2005 , 07:58 AM

can anyone criticize my work?

hello guys, hope you would help me improve my skills in 3d by giving me insights about my modeling skills and everything. plzz. thank you

# 4 20-05-2005 , 08:30 AM
definitely good enough modeling skills for a "frist model"... now to UVing/rendering and Rigging...

# 5 20-05-2005 , 12:51 PM
Well, if you really want us to help you with the "modeling" part of it, you need to show us wireframe, shaded view with wireframe on. Oh and dont use a white background cuz its hard to see details if you know what im saying, all I can see is like a sillhouette.

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 6 20-05-2005 , 06:46 PM
i'm sorry sir, i'll render another, and post a wireframe for it. thanks a lot

# 7 20-05-2005 , 08:12 PM
Subscriber
is the body/armor a single mesh? I like the model, except the face/mask. Think the current mask is too rounded out the teeth could have been incorporated into the mask's mouth. the face showing has what I assume is stuble on the chin but it doesn't look right as a straight painted texture.

the shader/texture for the armor tends to look "plasticy" up close.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 8 21-05-2005 , 07:13 AM
sir mhcannon: the body armor is indeed a single mesh, but the feet and arm armors are separated. about the face mask, i intentionally did not put teeths on it because i was altering the original face. thanks for the opinion and i'll try to fix it. and about the armor, huumm, i'll adjust it to make it more metallic. thank you sir.

# 9 21-05-2005 , 07:30 AM
user added image

# 10 21-05-2005 , 08:14 AM
update render

user added image

# 11 21-05-2005 , 04:02 PM
Subscriber
The mesh looks rather heavy for the level of detail. There's an old 3D addage that says don't model what you can texture. The gridded armor over the thighs is a good example. You could have used a bump or displacement to achieve the same look.

Also the red things on the back. They're supposed to feathers aren't they? If so maybe some more detail and transparency in the texture.

overall its a very good model, but again much heavier than it probably needs to be.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 12 22-05-2005 , 04:07 AM
sir mhcannon: yes, i believe the mesh is rather heavy to look at, but that wireframe you sir is the wireframe of my model that is already smoothen by once. so every mesh was divided to four. I wish i could show my unsmooth model but i have to go all the way back and reconstruct it again because i lost my back up mb file. thank you sir for your responce, i will alter the feathers later this afternoon. your feedbacks are highly appreciated sir, thank you

# 13 23-05-2005 , 08:48 PM
Very good. VERY good. First model? wow. mind-blowing. I wish my first model had gone out that way. I wish my CURRENT models came out that way. The best thing I have done isn'n even close to as good as yours. You got talent there. I agree with mhcannon about the dont model what you can texture part. And the mesh does look too heavy for that level of detail. But apart for those things and the fact that the feathers look, just, well, odd, it is an excellent model.

,Matt

# 14 24-05-2005 , 07:58 AM

sir matt

those words you just uttered were so inspiring, i'm flattered and deeply glad on how you see my work. I don't see anything wrong on ur works, in fact, i'm impressed.

thank you sir mhcannon and sir matt, i will definitely going to do ur advise on not modeling the part that you can texture on my next personal or non personal projects in my school, it was a very good observation and i am delighted, thank you so much for giving time and helping me out, and that goes the same to dragonfx and orgeeizm. more power to you my guides

# 15 24-05-2005 , 03:16 PM
One last thing

if you call me "sir" one more time I swear...
im 14!!!!
NOT A SIR
and you shouldnt be flattered, its the truth.
Good luck on your next project user added image :nod:

,Matt user added image