Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 15-11-2006 , 03:57 PM

--New Lightsaber--

I'm starting up this project again and I'm almost done. I'm having a problem with my dgs material. The saber doesn't look as chrome-ish as I want. Anyone know how I can fix this???

Attached Thumbnails

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 2 16-11-2006 , 11:28 AM
Here's another update I got with the saber on.

Attached Thumbnails

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

# 3 16-11-2006 , 12:02 PM
hmmm well I would say its a good start... but your saber needs so more details in areas like maybe some knobs or groves to give it some character. it seems very flat in areas...

Just make it work

www.createdestroy.net/kcin
# 4 16-11-2006 , 12:04 PM
before the blade was added i wanted to suggest that it looked like one of those 'personal massagers' user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 17-11-2006 , 08:48 AM

Re: --New Lightsaber--

Originally posted by echo red
I'm starting up this project again and I'm almost done. I'm having a problem with my dgs material. The saber doesn't look as chrome-ish as I want. Anyone know how I can fix this???

You need the chrome to reflect something, look for some angular maps (or make one yourself) and apply this to half a nurbs sphere that encompases your scene via a lambert material with the incandesance turned up, should work.

Or you could simply whack a HDR image on to it and use that for the lighting (but thats a bit of a cheat if you want to learn about lighting)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 17-11-2006 , 08:48 AM

Re: --New Lightsaber--

You need the chrome to reflect something, look for some angular maps (or make one yourself) and apply this to half a nurbs sphere that encompases your scene via a lambert material with the incandesance turned up, should work.

Or you could simply whack a HDR image on to it and use that for the lighting (but thats a bit of a cheat if you want to learn about lighting)

# 7 18-11-2006 , 09:31 PM
Subscriber
Are you going to leave the Saber like that? i mean the green laser? lol i have made many sabers if you need any help i can help mabye, lol.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 8 19-11-2006 , 11:14 PM
Starjsjswars--
No, I'm not done yet. It is work in progress. I havent gotten down to finishing yet. When I get some time, I'll add in some grooves.

Gster123--
The handle is reflecting, but the material doesn't look chrome.
Don't know how to get it to. I got chrome on a previous project but didnt use mental ray.
--Mirror Ball Project

Last edited by AnthonyCg; 19-11-2006 at 11:25 PM.
# 9 20-11-2006 , 07:22 AM

Gster123--
The handle is reflecting, but the material doesn't look chrome.
Don't know how to get it to. I got chrome on a previous project but didnt use mental ray.
--Mirror Ball Project

Errr you did use mental ray, or how did you get the HDRI image? (unless your using a third party render engine)

What I mean is that for a chrome metalic object you need to have a environment for the object to refelct, otherwise it will just look dull (as it dosent have anything to refelct), your right that it is reflecting (as I can see the floor refections in it) but it does not appear to ahve any other objects to reflect (such as the treees in your other thread)

Also try to make it a light blue colour thast should have it looking more chrome ish