Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 20-01-2007 , 03:55 PM
Subscriber

What foot control is best?

Kurt, this message is intended for you, but I also wanted to get other people's feedback if anyone cares to do so. Anyways, I followed a couple of your animation tuts that cover foot controls and I think it's a great way to create proper foot movement. My animation teacher told me he didn't like the way I set up my foot controls on a project and that I should use reverse foot controls instead. I'm sure you've heard of using a reverse foot before. Personally I love the way you do it and I think the foot movement/roll is more natural. Do you have any thoughts on comparing these two ways of controlling the foot?

Thanks,

Shawn

# 2 20-01-2007 , 05:40 PM
Subscriber
For me, it's reverse foot all the way.

There are a couple of ways of achieving this, I prefer using null groups but it can be visualy easier to use joints(where each joint is there instead of a null).

What way have you done your foot set up? I've never followed a rigging tutorial from Kurt but the guy knows what he's talking about, so if your tutor is saying it's not right..........hmmmmm.

Can you post a shot of your foot set up, it would offer a point of reference for us all.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 3 20-01-2007 , 06:36 PM
Subscriber
Let's see if this works, and hopefully you can see the pics just fine. On this project I was assigned to do the hand and foot controls. So I hope you can somewhat see the joint layout and what not with the way I did it. The highlighted foot control curve has a 'roll' attribute. That's how I achieved the roll.

user added image user added image user added image

Take care,
Shawn

# 4 21-01-2007 , 07:45 AM
Subscriber
Hello shawn,

I think that your tutor could have meant the way in which you have the joints placed, I've never seen that method before. The attached image shows a much more common way of placing joints for a foot set up.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 22-01-2007 , 07:14 AM
^

yep!!

i love reverse foot rigs too. with sliders are nice to animate with also. =)