Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 15-05-2007 , 04:23 PM

setting mesh to scale of native units.

I never could figure out how to set my mesh to scale. For example If I need my mesh 10 inches. First I start with a new square. I don't have any means to gage it except the grid. So lets say my grid is 1 inch per segment. I move my square up 12 by 12 by 12. Now I have a cubic foot. But lest say I imported an object and I need it the same. With out eye balling it I dont know how to set it to the same size. Or lets say I want my cubic box to be 20 feet now. Well I could double it with the grid but I would think there is another way. Sure I could just 50% the scale but lets say the math is not that easy and I have an imported object with an unknown size, but I need it to be 50 feet. Surly there is a way to just type 50, 50, 50 some where, right?

# 2 15-05-2007 , 06:41 PM
Here's one way but not sure if it's the best or the easiest. Goto the "Create" menu and select "Measure Tools" and then "Distance Tool". Then click on one side of the mesh and then the other side of the mesh. You now know the distance. Then group the two points you just clicked and the mesh together. Now when you scale your mesh, the measurement will change with it and give you instantaneous measurements. You'll just have to make sure that the measurements are aligned with the direction of your scale.

I have Maya 8.5 so if your version is older, the measure tools might be somewhere else. Hope this helps you out a little.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 16-05-2007 , 02:09 AM
You can use the Attribute editor or the channel box to imput the scale dimensions, in the scale X,Y and Z.

Also you can change the scale of the scene using the preferences, so it can either be cm, meters, inches, feet etc etc.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 16-05-2007 , 11:28 AM
But If I draw a cube based on the grid say 5 by 5 by 5. the Attribute panel shows 1 by 1 by 1. Then if I draw another cube say 2 by 2 by 2, it still shows 1 by 1 by 1. Is there not a tool that will tell me how big the object really is?

# 5 16-05-2007 , 01:42 PM
Subscriber
you can just create the object without drawing it out...then you can input the scale you want. it'll automatically creat it as 1x1x1 (whatever scale you have set, in, m, mm, etc), then you can adjust the channel box to whatever you want it to be, and it'll scale within those units.

The reason it's 1x1x1 whatever you create is probably because you're "drawing" the box instead of just telling maya to create the default.

# 6 16-05-2007 , 05:23 PM
errethakbe, thx that was what I needed.

Perfecto, I do have 8.5 Ill try this when pulling in my next object. interesting thought.

# 7 17-05-2007 , 03:32 AM
Just had a thought, you might have interactive creation on, that is if you select a cube you then drag it on the grid to create the cube whatever dimensions you want, if you switch it off then everythings made with a default 1x 1x 1 in all dimensions

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 18-05-2007 , 09:44 AM
Dude that frigged rocks!! thx. That is what I needed.

Perfecto, thx for the tip about measuring. Thats a big time saver.

any way to set preferences as default? I dont really need centimeters as my default measurements.

Last edited by ulaoulao; 18-05-2007 at 09:49 AM.
# 9 18-05-2007 , 11:01 AM
If you change your settings in the preferences, then next time you open Maya, it should open with the new measurements. Just goto Window - Settings/Preferences - Preferences. Then click on "Settings" in the categories section. Now you can change your centimeters to something else. Note: The changes won't go into effect until the next time you open Maya.

P.S. I'm glad you got the answers you were looking for.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 10 18-05-2007 , 08:42 PM
Ya, my settings seem to save per project. When i start a new file I get centimeters back. I may reinstall if it persists, if it should work the way you say.

# 11 19-05-2007 , 02:46 AM
Yea, I tried it out too and I get the same results. It went back to centimeters. I assumed everything set in preferences stayed that way but I realize now that's incorrect.

Does anybody else know whether or not the settings should stay as they're saved in the preferences or does it really depend on what preferences you're changing?

Exceed Expectations!