Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 14-05-2009 , 11:47 PM

Spaceship Challenge, Earthling: Archangel Michael

I think I will create the Archangel Michael from "Footfall". I've wanted to model it for a long time; this gives me an excuse. If I make miraculous time, I may also model Message Bearer, but I doubt I'll have enough time to finish Michael.

Michel is an Orion class spaceship. That is, it consists of a payload area, beneath which are tremendous shock absorbers, beneath which is a large, hemispherical plate.

You toss nuclear bombs underneath the plate, and the ship will move.

What will make the model difficult is the "nurnies". The Archangel Michael of the story was armed with everything from the guns of battleships, to "stove-pipe" single-man attack craft, to gamma ray lasers, to 2 space shuttles. All of which hung on the outside of the ship.

(Hey, we'd already lost Kansas and India, we were throwing everything we could at the snouts to get them off our planet and out of our sky!)

elephantinc made me think of modeling this ship, since the Traveler Fithp resembled baby elephants with bifurcated trunks and assault rifles.

I'll start submitting screenshots asap.

"Even a brick wants to be something" - Louis Kahn
# 2 15-05-2009 , 08:41 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
As much as I feel this is wrong I would really like to see this.

# 3 15-05-2009 , 09:50 AM
The Nurb Herd
sounds great, i've never heard of the book but it sounds quite interesting.

i guess there is not much reference materiel for this, so good luck!

@elephantinc - you'll soon grow out of your obsession with elephants.

# 4 15-05-2009 , 10:16 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

# 5 15-05-2009 , 10:25 AM
The Nurb Herd
girls and booze will change that! user added image

# 6 15-05-2009 , 12:05 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by hammer.horror
girls will change that! user added image

if only.... xD

# 7 24-05-2009 , 11:33 PM
Just an update, no screenshot yet. I've started work on the thruster plate, the hemisphere that the nuclear bombs will push against.

I had to do some calculations to get size and dimensions logical, since in the final version I should be able to hang 2 space shuttles on the sides. I decided to make the thruster place 300' in diameter, about 2.5 times the length of the shuttle.

I've got the hemisphere modeled, now I need to add the "nurnies" representing the thrust bomb guns which toss the bombs down under the thruster plate, and the control cabling to them, then I can begin working on the attachments for the shock absorbers.

The main cabin, near as I can gather, was rectangular in shape, but I think I'm going to make it hexagonal. That just seems sturdier and more logical to me.

I'm really going to try focusing on it tomorrow, and then I can hopefully give you some screen shots.

"Even a brick wants to be something" - Louis Kahn