Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 09-07-2014 , 08:17 AM

Individual UV Mapping for Individual Objects for Ramp?

Hi all, Maya newbie here!

I have a lot of objects that make up a building facade. They are all separate mesh objects with difference sizes, each with multiple faces. I want to create a ramp gradient for each of the individual panels. If I select them all and create UV planar mapping, it creates a UV map for the entire facade and not just the individual faces.

How do I go about doing this to create the UV map for each panel that also correspond to their sizes? Thanks!!

# 2 09-07-2014 , 09:39 AM
Lifetime Member
Simply select and planar map each panel individually then create however many materials you need and assign them to the panels you need.

How to go about this : You can map individual objects or even selected faces of an object and map just to those faces, if your individual panels are combined you can Separate Mesh and map each one then group them.
You could have a separate ramp for each panel or maybe 4 or 5 and randomly apply them to the panels .

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 09-07-2014 , 10:29 AM
Hi jsprogg, thank you for your reply!

The thing is, is there a way to select them all and create individual map while having them all selected? I have approximately 1,000 objects... and it would be a pain to go through each of them... until I decide to change something again... then I would have to select them individually again?

# 4 09-07-2014 , 10:36 PM
Super Moderator
I would use an auto mapping instead of the planar. The auto mapping will act on the individual objects in the selection list, just remember to freeze the transformations on the objects before projection so you get proportional UVs.

- Genny