Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 02-08-2007 , 09:12 AM
Subscriber

BadG3r - badger

over at cgtalk I joined the HMC. Not daring to compete with the big guys but trying to improve my modeling. since this is my first selfmade organic (besides the sage blossom for work)

c&c and tips & tricks are welcomed.

progress so far:

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

Badger

# 2 02-08-2007 , 09:33 AM
Subscriber
lil update and: how would I block in the ears??? everything I tried so far turned it into a pig or something like that.

user added image

user added image

# 3 02-08-2007 , 02:43 PM
Subscriber
Cool shape. Can instantly tell it's a badg3r user added image
For the ears definatily extrude faces and edge loop splits.

When working with extrusions, get the shape right first. Then extrude. This will save you a ton of time, and as with most drawing if the construction is correct, the rest will fall into place with relative ease.

I would first move the vertices into position so that they form the outline of the ear (in the area where the ear connects to the head.) You can add some cuts with split polygon tool which is a good way to get more geometry to work with in the areas where you need it.

When you are happy with the base of the ear. Extrude the faces and model the shape of the ear. Get some edge loop splits in if you need more geo, and push some of the faces in and some of them out :p

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 4 03-08-2007 , 08:08 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by AlphaFlyte
Cool shape. Can instantly tell it's a badg3r user added image
For the ears definatily extrude faces and edge loop splits.

thx user added image

ok so I have to work on that. Cause on my first tries I just did that. Its a bit hard without a proper frontview or better without one at all.

so lets trial and error.

plus if someone got nice pictures of a shaved badger (not badg3r) would be great for proportions user added image

# 5 03-08-2007 , 04:11 PM
Subscriber
Move the verts to match the ears rotation and shape you have been given in side view, and you will eliminate a lot of trial and error.

For the front view it'll be more of that indeed unless we can find some good ref's. You can make sort of an educated guess by looking at lots of badger photos from all kinds of angles to help describe how much it sticks out and what kind of rotations.

Be brave and expect some trial and error. Ears is the hardest things to model on a human, but the end result is worth the efforts. I think it will be even more pleasing as the ears will give your badger a lot of character (personality and body language etc).

The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 03-08-2007 at 04:16 PM.
# 6 03-08-2007 , 04:32 PM
Subscriber
ok this is not a badger but the principles we've talked about above apply to any polyform. See how some edges have been added and the vertices have been moved to form the outline of the ear? It's not perfect but it's a good start, almost ready for extrusion. You will also see that it's not all quads. Not a problem. Needed edges can always be added later when you are happy with the form.

Attached Thumbnails

The Salvation Prophecy
# 7 03-08-2007 , 05:06 PM
Subscriber
thx alphaflyte.

im gonna dive in after the weekend since ive got to work on weekend... again!

# 8 09-08-2007 , 01:44 AM
Subscriber
so after partying alot on the weekend (actually it was my birthday) im back at work...

but before the hell breaks out i already moved some verts... lets see where this will lead me..

and thx alpha for the the refs. good amendment to my refs...
hope soon there will be an update...

greets badger