Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 30-06-2005 , 04:41 PM

Extrude Face problem

Got a quick question. When I extrude my face I seem to be getting an extrace face on the edge. I go to Edit Polygons->extrude face-> Options and I have no Keep Faces Together option. I think this is the option I need to keep from getting those extra faces right? If so how do I get my optinos back? Here is a shot of what I am talking about. This is in Maya 6.

user added image

Thanks for the help

# 2 30-06-2005 , 04:49 PM
Subscriber
select your mesh, go to Polyogn>clean up
and check on edges with 0 length , the value should be fine at the default 0.0000001

this will get rid of overlaping faces.

# 3 30-06-2005 , 04:59 PM
ok that worked. Any reason why I don't have that option in my extrude face? no biggie to run clean up after each extrude just curious why the option is gone.

# 4 30-06-2005 , 05:55 PM
Another problem I have with these extrude faces is the vertices don't seem to be connected. If you grab an edge and lift it just peels off and doesn't raise the whole object. If you merge vertices then it seems to work normal. What the heck am I doing wrong??!! This is the first time I am using extrude face, normally I just split poly and go from there. For what I am doing now that would be more time consuming. Is there some setting with extrude face I am missing?

# 5 30-06-2005 , 06:04 PM
Subscriber
in the poly>tool options
check on keep faces together and convert selection
and then rtm

# 6 05-07-2005 , 02:55 PM
that seemed to work vlad. thanks for the help.

# 7 06-06-2014 , 10:51 PM

in the poly>tool options
check on keep faces together and convert selection
and then rtm

Ok, I would love to know how you interpreted and understood this answer Spiffy!

There is no 'The Poly' menu, and no 'Tool Options' tool.
And then I have no idea what rtm means.. but I'm having this problem on half a dozen computers.
I'm no beginner but I just really don't understand what the hell he's trying to say lol.
Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Cheers =)

Edit: Seriously, this is really frustrating me now.. in "the poly>tool options"???? What the actual fck is he talking about? There is nothing called "The Poly" with any options next to it!!! Do you see a "The Poly" tool? DO YOU!?

Edit Again: Unless you're just talking about correcting the attribute in the history EVERY time you extrude..? =/ That would be disappointing.. it's a pain even with the CTRL+Shift+RMB way.. simply put, you just shouldn't have to do it.

Edit Again Again: Ok I solved it. The option itself for Keep Faces Together is actually a tickbox in the Edit Mesh menu, the very top option.. easily overlooked if you haven't touched that menu in years.

Last edited by Antonin Ganner; 06-06-2014 at 11:28 PM.
# 8 07-06-2014 , 05:20 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Spiffy

Glad you sorted the 'code' out LOL

some of us older Maya users call the 'mesh' menu the 'poly' menu as that what it as called for a looooong time in Maya until around the 2008 onwards versions if I recall correctly.

Also one to look out for is us guys refering to the Render Globals....now its called Render options....bit of a pain but once you get really stuck in...it will make sense a bit better..

cheers
Jay

# 9 11-10-2016 , 09:50 PM

problem

hey for some issues with my extrude. for some reason everything i select extrude my polyextrudeface menu doesn't pop up any more. i can't extrude anything even when i create a new polygon. this command keeps popping up on the bottom instead

// Result: polyExtrudeFacet -constructionHistory 0 -keepFacesTogether 1 -pvx 2.894925335 -pvy 9.753714879 -pvz 1.199107329 -divisions 1 -twist 0 -taper 1 -off 0 -thickness 0 -smoothingAngle 30 pCube21.f[60:61]

i don't know what happened and i don't know how to fix it.