Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-02-2006 , 05:59 PM

Particle Problem

Hello
im trying to make a trail for a comet and cant seem to get the texturing on the particles right.
im using a particle cloud texture but when i add a ramp it textures each particle seperately which doesnt look right.
Does anyone know how to solve this.
All ideas welcome

thanks for your time

# 2 03-03-2006 , 08:10 PM
why would you apply a ramp texture to the particles? for the trail to dissolve? in case this is your intention here (tell me if I missunderstood) you might simply vary the lifetime of your particles left behind from the comet.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 3 06-03-2006 , 04:33 PM
i used a ramp to try and show the colour change from fire to smoke but it didnt seem to work. instead each particle had three colour which doesnt look right.

sorry for the bad description

# 4 06-03-2006 , 05:04 PM
oh, that´s ok, I just didn´t know what you meant exactly.

in the maya docs there is a section called ->

Set particle attributes with a ramp texture

but I don´t quite know if this is solving your problem. I don´t have much experience with particles, but you can have a look at fluids. with fluids within the fluidShape node you can set parameters like Temperature and Fuel (to dynamic grid). then go down to the Contents tab and experiment with density, velocity, turbulence and temperature. besides those basic parameters you have lots of other options to simulate the creation of fire turning into smoke or anything else. try to get a tut on fluids. I think fluids are better for simulating such physical processes than particles. but thats only cause I don´t know much about particles..

good luck!

# 5 06-03-2006 , 05:07 PM
this is my first try to create kind of nuke explosion turning into lot of dark and dense smoke.

Attached Images

# 6 07-03-2006 , 05:05 PM
thank you for the help

that nuke looks great and its the sort of effect that i want. il try to create it in fluids now and post the result soon.

thanks again