Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 17-04-2008 , 12:07 AM

Creating Model(head) from side view only?

Since depth is based on our own assumptions on any particular part of modeling (Lighting/shadow also work)

Is it viable to have only a side picture of what you wish to create? I've seen a tutorial on someone mainly using a side view to create a human looking head, but I am curious on peoples views of this approach.

# 2 17-04-2008 , 02:23 AM
ok for lowres. ofr hires stuff i use as many refs as i can get. mainly front and side ofc. but try it yourself. if you´re not so experience I´d try to use more than sideview only.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 3 17-04-2008 , 03:23 AM
yeah - if you have the other refs than use them - why limit yourself?

not sure what you mean by 'depth is based on your own assumptions.'

if you only have a side view of the head you want to model than it's possible to wing it, but i might look for a front and 3/4 ref of a couple of similar looking people just to help block it in.

# 4 17-04-2008 , 10:57 AM
What I meant by depth, is that is based on ones perception. As I may think something has more definition, another may feel is lacks it. Depth is an illusion, a trickery of light and shadowing. Of course something may actually have depth, it can very will have a 3D look to it with the right placing of said lights and shadowing. (Of course I still wish to make my 3D character)

I understand that Polygon modelings is commonly used in making lowres models, so then would I use nerbs if I was creating an animated video? I am teaching myself currently, reading reading reading... Anyways, I have read that nurbs can suffer from "tearing". So would it be advisable to use polygons rather than nurbs to make a 3d animation?

# 5 17-04-2008 , 01:39 PM
that´s a choice of taste. but with hires chars I also stick to polys. i use nurbs just for technical stuff.

What I meant by depth, is that is based on ones perception.

from this point of view you could also use a front pic and dump the side_ref or even use no reference at all and just watch the model and bring your perceptions to paper.

but - the more reference you use, the better the model.

# 6 17-04-2008 , 04:49 PM
Modeling without any reference is kinda fun tho, and I find it more relaxing as you just play around instead of trying to follow your own or someones else's scetch. user added image

# 7 18-04-2008 , 11:25 PM
I agree it can be nice, but this is not a "human" face. That I would find much easier to accomplish.

I am making a hybrid human/lion(?) type look.

Also, the toughest part is the mouth, as a lions mouth is quite long(?) where a humans is more on a circle. I thought about just stretching a human mouth, but I feel it distorts the face as a whole. I guess I could always make the edges of the mouth myself.

This is something I have wanted to learn and do for a long time. I can see in my mind what I want, but I can't seem to express it the way I like in maya, and its frusterating. It never seems to come out the way I like. gggrrr I guess I am trying to be too perfect and in the end, its my own downfall. Or it could be a lack of experience... heh

# 8 18-04-2008 , 11:58 PM
training is the key. training training training.

I model 8-10 hours per day since something like 2 or 3 years now. I start liking my outcome, but still the journey continues.. with training.