Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 23-10-2008 , 04:27 PM
Subscriber

Display of edges

Hi,

I'm currently building the model of a house and for some mysterious reason, the edges of the walls of the second floor display as soft edges, even if they are not. Now, I am using about 20 millions different programs and often get mixed up with my shortcuts, so is it possible that I hit a key that created that situation?

Thanks!

# 2 23-10-2008 , 06:18 PM
Subscriber
it's kind of hard to know what you're asking

The edge is soft if the colour of two faces graudually blend into each other due to the changing normals
the only way to change the normals like that is to have a soft edge

the only thing i can think of is that your face isn't planar (the vertices don't exist on the same plane)

what's the relevance of mentioning your 20 million different programs? programs don't interfere with each other.

perhaps a screen shot of the wireframe of shaded with soft-hard edges displaying. and a rendered image so we can see that the hard edge is changing the normals of the faces like a soft edge.

sorry, i wont believe it until i see it given the definitin of soft and hard edges

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 01-11-2008 , 02:52 AM
Subscriber
Hi Chirone,

okay so I'm attaching views of the walls which I have difficulties with, note that I don't have that problem with the floor above, all the edges display sharp and straight... Thanks for your help!

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 01-11-2008 , 02:53 AM
Subscriber
without the wireframe

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 01-11-2008 , 03:09 AM
Super Moderator
It could be that you messed with the normals, try selecting the object then go to Normals>Harden Edge.

- Genny
# 6 01-11-2008 , 04:56 AM
Subscriber
it's hard to see which edges are hard and which ones are soft

can you repost but have "show hard/soft edges" on for all polygons?

soft edges will show up as dotted lines and hard edges are solid

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 7 01-11-2008 , 07:59 AM
Subscriber
I'm actually working in NURBS, might look a bit silly for such orthogonal shapes, but I started from an EPS plan and traced over to create the surfaces. I had in mind to start creating more organic shapes eventually, that's why I chose NURBS over polys. So I can't use the harden edge tool, any other suggestion?

# 8 01-11-2008 , 10:17 AM
Subscriber
you know you don't have to stick with NURBS and that you can convert them to polys right?

not sure what a house needs with organic shapes... are you going to make a spherical roof with stylistic bumps and stuff?

i would have thought you'd want to start with a polygon box, extrude faces and draw new edges to get the walls of the house, then model the organic parts with NURBS and then convert them to polys, change the topology a bit so it makes a little more sense and then smooth

any part of the house that you'd be able to do in NURBS faster than in polys i'd convert after i'm done and sew the pieces together