Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-07-2011 , 07:09 PM

delete vertices...

I've got more troublesome geometry. One step I've tried is to select the vertices and press delete to remove any stray ones, but if there's a vertex on a corner ie. only two edges connected to it either side, it's deleted. The problem is that it's leaving me with 3-sided polygons - is there a setting I can adjust to preserve quads, or is it sloppy modelling on my part?

# 2 24-07-2011 , 08:17 PM
The thin red line
Try getting into the habit of using the delete edge/vertices (in edit mesh) this should reduce the amount of loose vertices being created, to add a single vertice use the split poly tool, Im sure we have all been there with sloppy modelling but hopefully we learn.......dave

# 3 24-07-2011 , 08:28 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
good man Dave....

J

# 4 24-07-2011 , 08:58 PM
I do use edge/vertex as often as i remember (which is most of the time.. I think..)
here's the kind of thing I mean :-

Last edited by se7enhedd; 06-04-2012 at 10:18 AM.
# 5 24-07-2011 , 09:01 PM
The thin red line
Thanks Jay I do try
Like I said use the plit poly tool to put one vertice there then press enter........dave

# 6 24-07-2011 , 09:34 PM
Subscriber
I do wonder why you think you can have a quad face with 3 vertices... its physically impossible...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 24-07-2011 , 11:05 PM
The thin red line

I do wonder why you think you can have a quad face with 3 vertices... its physically impossible...

Who said that.........dave

# 8 25-07-2011 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber

I've got more troublesome geometry. One step I've tried is to select the vertices and press delete to remove any stray ones, but if there's a vertex on a corner ie. only two edges connected to it either side, it's deleted. The problem is that it's leaving me with 3-sided polygons - is there a setting I can adjust to preserve quads, or is it sloppy modelling on my part?

i interpret that to be that he wants to delete a vertex on the corner and still expect the quad to be there. I don't know how else to read it.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 9 25-07-2011 , 12:51 AM
No, you reading it wrong. Im saying that if you select a bunch of vertices and press delete, it'll get rid of any stray ones lurking about. In theory you can select the entire model, press delete and voila - no stray vertices. But I can't do that here because it's leaving tri's. I only want to get rid of the ones causing n-gons; if there is any in there that is.

# 10 25-07-2011 , 09:05 AM
The thin red line
The simply answer is no, you can run the clean mesh tool to high light and fix ngons but the results are not always as you want..............dave

# 11 25-07-2011 , 09:50 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Ngons usually need to be cleared up the old fashioned way, theres no easy way out on those

at least now you know for your next model

Jay

# 12 25-07-2011 , 10:06 AM
Lifetime Member
Maya will (frustrating) for some reason delete one vert out of the four on any quad if you select them all...I dont know why but it does. If you do this on any part of your model it will always delte the 'corner'...must be the way it interpolates the grid/mesh. As dave has pointed out...clean mesh....OR if its the way Im reading this...merge verts...if you set your merge proximity to certain levels you can achieve it as well (if Im reading this right?). I personally hate using the clean tool as it will not do what you want and create LOTS of edges...etc etc etc when you do it...even with manipulating the tool options...its almost a boolean kind of thing and you have to manually do the cleanup after the cleanup LOL. I think you can (Jay/dave) physically identify the verts/faces and clean them only...not sure. I know you can keep hard/border edges in the clean tool...dont know if this will help you at all. At best personally (if there arent tpo many)...select the corner verts first...then shift select..and this will highlight all of the verts you want...then merge....or delete....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 13 26-07-2011 , 08:57 AM
so, dave hit the nail on the head - it's not a catch-all solution. I've managed to fix it up now, it was just a case of marquee selecting over verts and merging if there were more than one.
at last now i know why i kept ending up with these rounded corners - - i was doing the whole drag select/delete but only really looking at one area, not realising it was messing up in others. I can't see why maya couldn't preserve quads in cases like that... it seems a pretty simple rule. but then, autodesk don't do simple do they! =0

well it may not be the solution I wanted, but at least I've gained some understanding. thanks all!!

...select the corner verts first...then shift select..and this will highlight all of the verts you want...then merge....or delete....

good tip bullet -- thanks user added image

Last edited by se7enhedd; 26-07-2011 at 08:59 AM.
# 14 26-07-2011 , 10:58 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL no worries mate...at least you are learning...and thats half the battle

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes