Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-11-2002 , 06:10 PM
Subscriber

Hooking up three computers to shorten rendering time.

After rendering a 3 second animation that took nearly 2 hours because I had raytracing and refractions turned on (for it was a mirror cube rotating around in a really reflective room), I decided that I am going to hook all three of my computers up. Might any of you people know how to do this? Thanks.

# 2 24-11-2002 , 09:54 PM
SM Alumni
Get yourself a router and lan cards and cables for each computer. Create new shares on each computer to set your network up, then find a Netrender plug for Maya. Dirk Balliach (sp?) has one at his site. Anorther one to check out is Muster from Virtual Vertex. You can d/l and use it between two computers as is, but need to register it for any more. I wanted to try the Net Render plug from Dirk Balliach but wasn't networked at the time so I couldn't test it. You have to have Maya installed on each computer as well so this is where a floating license is better than a node-locked license. Good luck user added image

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 3 24-11-2002 , 09:59 PM
Subscriber
Ahh crap. Installed on each computer you say? I can't do it then. The computer with Maya on it is the only one I have that can run Maya. (Windows NT) The other two are Windows ME. crapcrapcrapcrapcrap!

# 4 24-11-2002 , 10:18 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Darkware
Ahh crap. Installed on each computer you say? I can't do it then. The computer with Maya on it is the only one I have that can run Maya. (Windows NT) The other two are Windows ME. crapcrapcrapcrapcrap!

you can say that loud that me is crap user added image

# 5 24-11-2002 , 10:22 PM
I would advice against using muster as a render manager, I have seen muster dropping frames on several projects... I might be the only one that have been fighting with muster, but I took heavy blows and I dont have the energy or the time for another go with muster

/ ctrl-z
# 6 25-11-2002 , 12:43 AM
Subscriber
i have two computers a 2.4 and a 2.0 ghz machine... i know hooking them up would give significant improvement in render times.. i run them on a 100 mb/s crosslink LAN connection without any router... i have thinking of asking this question for a long time... can you tell me how to hook up the two?

# 7 25-11-2002 , 12:44 AM
Subscriber
ououououu!!, i run XP on both the machines