Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 02-03-2007 , 08:45 PM

annoying texture seam

I'm just trying to polish my texturing skills, and I find that when I have a wrapround texture, I often get a bit of a seam like the one in this picture. Is there any clever rick to get round it? I produce the displacement,bump and texture map all in photoshop from modifications of the same core image, but I can never get the meeting point quite right. It seems that some anti-aliasing goes on but I'm not sure (the maps are bitmaps) Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to clean this up?

Attached Images
# 2 03-03-2007 , 07:30 AM
Maya has a "clone stamp" tool that might help you out, I dont know how to use it but I'm sure the help files will be able to give you an Idea.

Cheers

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 03-03-2007 , 09:45 AM
Senior Software Developer
The texture file is not seemless. Photoshop can help you out andthere are tutes online on how to create seemless texture files.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 05-03-2007 , 08:24 AM
Thanks for clarification. I was concerned that it was doing something to the bmp, but you are indeed right, it was the textures. I went back into photoshop, and after much cloning, smudging and swearing, I have sorted it out, and the textures look lovely.

now I have to learn about lighting, since I doubt that a spotlight and some final gather is really showing my model off to its best.

# 5 05-03-2007 , 01:14 PM
here's a worms eye view with a sky composited onto the background.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 05-03-2007 , 01:19 PM
Nice going man! Looks superb, you need to get a knight and a cartoon dragon in there doing battle, Ican really see this developing into a little fantasy world

Happymat's done a vid tut on 3 point lighting, think its in the lighting and rendering section on one of the first threads.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 05-03-2007 , 01:37 PM
Senior Software Developer
I agree with Steve. Nice render. Love the too effect.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)