Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 22-05-2007 , 08:18 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

3d Webcomic/graphic novel

Hey Guys n Gals

This coming Sunday (27th May 2k7) Im launching my online graphic novel/comic, www.outlaws-tales.com. Its all done in Maya, Ps, and of course Zb! Its a Sci Fi tale in the style of a Western just to ground it into reality a bit more. The first 3 pages will be up around midnight on Sunday (GMT) and then updated, hopefully 1-2weeks. 2 weeks being a bad case scenario, if problems arise, which they can as we all know. Anyway hope you enjoy it..

Cheers for now

Jay

# 2 22-05-2007 , 08:37 AM
Nice one Jay!

Looking forward to it mate, be great to see all the work that youve been puttinginto this in its full glory!

I'll be bookmarking the site!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 22-05-2007 , 09:23 AM
Steve

Many thanks I appreciate your support. Im really apprehensive about it all, its almost a bit anticlimatic in a way, because Ive been living it for bloody ages now, writing, rewriting, designing-re-designing, modelling, rendering, re-rendering and all that plus learning new stuff as well so its been very hard, especially when you have work on forums as well that people like and tend to look up to you for advice...its enough to 'down' a rhino, LOL.

Ive been working on 3d comics for the last 7years or so (fulltime job) so Ive been able to see where the potential lies for it, despite being told otherwise. Although 3d isnt mainstream in terms for comics generally, Im hoping this will change things and make people sit up. I recently saw a ballistic book called Machine Phase and had a look at it. Considering the talent (Im talking a big name or two here) that worked on it, it was attrocious. So theres hope...but if I can get it as good/popular as this www.thedreamlandchronicles.com (this is has a huuuuuge following) and people enjoy the story I'll be happy.

Sunday Im off to Excel in London where theres a big Comic and movie Con, so I'll be doing a little promoting myself

Fingers crossedX

Cheers
Jay

# 4 22-05-2007 , 10:36 AM
Senior Software Developer
Congrats Jay...

I have been on and off your site for the last year or so, keeping my eye on your work and the story.

I like the concept of the "Space Cowboy", and you have a really good idea there.

Don't be nervous your work is very good and I think it will work well.

How are you marketing it, if at all?

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 22-05-2007 , 11:28 AM
Subscriber
Good luck with the launch Jay.

I know you've been working on this for a good while now, it'll be great to see your finished product.

Have fun at Excell,

Mat.

# 6 22-05-2007 , 12:23 PM
Thanks Guys, again I appreciate the support.

Chris, As far as marketing goes, its been word of mouth, and the interest is there (allegedly) Im goingto print some flyers just to take along for now.

Also David (Admin) here has agreed to promote it as long as I do an Outlaws related tute for SM, ie; a vehicle or something, I just have to find the time!!

Theres a shop in the works atm as well, its up and running already, but its not officially on the Outlaws sites. If anyone is interested its www.printfection.com/outlaws_tales

Theres a couple of shirts and a mousepad for sale. No 3d designs atm as Im busy with 2d manga style stuff for it. Which looks quite appealing on TShirt.

Cheers
Jay

# 7 22-05-2007 , 03:55 PM
Senior Software Developer
Good to see that gentlemans agreement there user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 8 24-05-2007 , 12:55 PM
Hi All

Its live! Link down below signature

Thanks for looking

Jay

# 9 24-05-2007 , 01:13 PM
Jr.Who
I donÕt get itÉÉ user added image

# 10 24-05-2007 , 01:27 PM
Do'h!!! What dont you get, its just started...? Its a weekly web comic, so you'll have to just follow it, did you use the navigation controls to read from the beginning?

Jay

# 11 24-05-2007 , 01:42 PM
Hehe.

Took a bit for the first image to load but after that it was fine!

Looks great, weekley, man, your making us wait!! What about daily updates????? Joking mate, looks great, love the backgrounds that youve done, wouldent mind a "behind the Scenes" bit in the extras! (as well as going to a daily update LOL!!)

Nice one mate.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 12 24-05-2007 , 01:44 PM
Subscriber
lookin good. Never have been a huge fan of comic books because I always end up reading the bubbles in the wrong order and jump all over the place, but I'll try to keep up with this one.

# 13 24-05-2007 , 01:54 PM
Hey Guys

Thanks.

Steve: Thanks man, if I could do this daily mate I would, LOL but the reality is that the amount of stuff to get in there is pretty intense in that short space of time and its a wheel thats constantly turning and catches up, so there is a compromise on stuff. Im happy to say though this first chapter or prologue is a stark contrast of things to come, the two characters there right now were bashed out in 2 weeks from model, textures, and complete facial and body rigs. So they are a little below par in my opinion but will do for this first chapter. The stuff that comes after this is a much higher standard.

As for behind the scenes, absolutely! Im no lover of secrets myself and to show people 'a way' of doing stuff is not a prob. I may post some bits here during the week.

Rhetoric Camel:Thank you, yeah, I understand about the bubbles thing, I was the same many years back, but after getting involved with comics it soon sorts. Yes I hope you will follow it.

Cheers
Jay

# 14 24-05-2007 , 03:07 PM
Subscriber
Well done Jay,

it certainly looks great, I have it bookmarked and am looking forward to seeing how the story develops. Behind the scenes stuff sounds like a great idea.

My wife has even shown an interest in your comic!!

Take it easy,

Mat.

Last edited by happymat27; 24-05-2007 at 10:59 PM.
# 15 24-05-2007 , 03:47 PM
Mat

Many thanks dude, and please pass on a thanks to Mrs 'Mat' too!
I will post update reminders here as and when too!

Thanks guys
Jay