Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 26-03-2009 , 07:50 PM

Basketball net

Hi

I was wondering how to make a realistic(high ress) looking basketball net. I did a search on the forum and came up with two hits both of them saying that I need to use texture but I was wondering to whether there’s a possibility to model it. Cuz I’m intent to animate it later on. And if I’m not mistaken you can’t make an animation while using texture and alpha channels. Nor render the shadows.

# 2 27-03-2009 , 02:28 AM
Sure, you could animate it realistically even if you only use normal and transparency mapping-just make a lower res model and animate it to the mapping.

I'm a basketball player, and I'll tell you right now, each of the loops in the net doesn't move individually-they move in little stacks (Assuming the ball is swishing nicely through the net) so you'd really only have to animate each level, and make sure that the textures are properly applied so that it's a fluid anim.

If you really wanted to model it, I'd suggest making a lot of curves then either extruding along them or doing some dastardly NURB work.

~I have no idea what I'm doing~