Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 21-04-2009 , 07:39 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

My New System

I just got my new system and decided to share with the community if you will.
I am actually so relieved that i don't have a blasted ATI card anymore with all those graphical glitches, these are the specs;

HP XW 6600
Dual Quad core Xeon E5440 2,83 GHZ processor
8 GB Ram
Nvidia Quadro FX 4600
64 bit windows XP

It hasn't got all the newest components, but who does anyways?
The second you buy it a new thing enters the market user added image
And in the next month or 2 i am planning to buy the new wacom intuos 4 L

Maybe now i will finish some of my projects(one can only hope)

# 2 21-04-2009 , 11:22 PM
Super Moderator
Grats on the new rig, its nice user added image. What made you decide on a Quadro instead of a consumer card?

- Genny
# 3 21-04-2009 , 11:42 PM
Subscriber
Also, why XP 64? You have the beef to handle Vista 64 and considering it is supported by even the little guys now as opposed to XP 64.
On my machine at work we priced out a dual xeon and a new i7. The dual xeons were a pain in the ass and much slower than a single quad i7 which acts as 8 cores anyways.
Still, it is awesome to have a new rig to put to the paces.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 4 22-04-2009 , 06:56 AM

Originally posted by alexanderH

On my machine at work we priced out a dual xeon and a new i7. The dual xeons were a pain in the ass and much slower than a single quad i7 which acts as 8 cores anyways.

Really? in the reviews in 3d world they have the i7 slower than a dual xeon system??

Grats on the rig Mastone, looks nice.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 22-04-2009 , 08:24 PM
@Gect;To be quite honest , i used to have a Nvidia gamecard, which somehow always lagged when it came to open GL, the i had an Ati Radeon card with which i had numerous supportcalls from drivers to strange texture artifacts and on that moment i decided that when i would buy a new system it would be a proper one which is supported by most applications and i definitely never want an Ati card anymore.....ever, and thanks

@alexanderH;
" Also, why XP 64? You have the beef to handle Vista 64"
Now what have we been drinking there Alexander?
But seriously i absolutely HATE Vista, i work at a company in the netherlands which sells 3d packages in combination with HP workstations and 9 out of 10 times every support issue is on Vista OS(user account control anyone? ) and you have to remember that microsoft is pushing Vista, so naturally everyone wants to be Vista certified.
I rather use a Mac and leopard than i would use Vista and from me that's saying something, trust me.

The I7 is a great new processor, although it's not quicker than a Dual Quad core Xeon, the reason i didn't buy it is simple; HP workstations don't have that possibility in the configuration since it's branded consumer.
If you really want something quicker than the current Xeon line just wait when the new Xeons based on the I7 cores come out; I believe 3D world has tested it in their last issue..

@ Gster
Thanks

user added image

# 6 23-04-2009 , 07:56 AM
Yeah the xeons based on the i7 (not really sure that the correct way to say it!) are out already.

As you say mate, as soon as you get somethign new something else comes out, better in my mind to not have the "latest" but be a little behind where you can see any problems, get it cheaper etc etc. On a side not I've recently gone 64bit and gone to vista, cant fault it really.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 24-04-2009 , 08:19 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
sweet rig man so how much of a dent was this to your wallet coz i think the processor alone costs 800 bucks

# 8 24-04-2009 , 02:14 PM
Nice setup!

Are you going to post benchmarks?

Or are you not going to risk frying something? :p

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 9 24-04-2009 , 06:58 PM
@murambi
"sweet rig man so how much of a dent was this to your wallet coz i think the processor alone costs 800 bucks"

I sold a kidney and a long i have 2 of them anyway user added image

@ the architect
I haven't found a benchmarktest, the only one i found wasn't suiteable for 64 bit OS or a vista test, i haven't been really looking however,cause i'm quite sure it's fast enough for the work i do, but if you know of a good onei will do it and post it here

thanks guys