Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 20-01-2004 , 01:08 AM

problems converting poly's to subdivs

hey everyone whenever i try to convert polygons to subdivs i get an error that says to look in the script editor for further information, so i do that and the script editor tells me that one or more of my vertices are non manifold and that i should use the clean up command with the nonmanifold option turned on, so i get into the clean up options and set the nonmanifold, problem is i dont know what i'm doing in clean up (i dont even know what cleanup does) and also i dont know what nonmanifolds are, any explanation of what all this means and how to work it would be great. thanks in advance everyone

AIM: Psuedo Realizm
# 2 20-01-2004 , 01:21 AM
Subscriber
There's a few ways to create non-manifold geometry, three or more faces sharing an edge, two or more faces share a single vertex but no edge and adjacent faces have opposite normals. It's all in the manual.