Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 01-04-2012 , 06:43 AM
Subscriber

Texture Mapping on wavy surface

Hi There user added image

I have a question. I have modelled a skirt with kind of "clown collar" around the top so it folds over and under itself. I want to texture it to have like a floral texture on it - how can I project my texture onto these folds so that it is seamless all the way around without having the "streaking" effect?? Is it something I have to do as part of the UV mapping?

Thanks for any help user added image user added image

Emms.

Emms
# 2 01-04-2012 , 08:01 AM
The thin red line
You cannot have it seam less all the way round you will at least have 1, could you show a picture of the mesh with wires.............dave

# 3 01-04-2012 , 10:59 AM
Subscriber

You cannot have it seam less all the way round you will at least have 1, could you show a picture of the mesh with wires.............dave

Yeah, I understand about the having at least one seam - I might end up with more - but see how the folds go over each other, how do I get a texture to map around that properly without distortion.

user added image

Emms
# 4 01-04-2012 , 11:36 AM
The thin red line
I would use road kill(free) or the UV plugin(free) that Jay has talked about (I will see if I can find the link). In road kill upload the mesh and cut a seam at the back(where you least see it) then back to maya and use unfold this should give a good starting place............dave

Link to autodesk UV plugin:https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/steve...unwrapping_uvs

Last edited by daverave; 01-04-2012 at 12:53 PM.
# 5 01-04-2012 , 03:39 PM
You can also unfold it in maya. just pin one end first and unfold

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 6 01-04-2012 , 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Plus the mesh is rather dense for what it is, that would make UV tweaking a bit more of a hassle that necessary.

- Genny