Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-10-2002 , 08:22 AM
Subscriber

Interceting nurbs curves; does it work for you?

The "intersect curves" tool is still a mystery to me, as it apparently wont work with me.

So I would appreciate that someone could try this simple function and post the result here in this thread.

...And yes, I have read the help-file.

# 2 28-10-2002 , 09:14 AM
Strange .. I tried also, with no success. Although I pondered at the use of such a tool, to see which would be the most natural workflow associated with the tool, but can´t think of anything.

Perhaps care to enlighten me?

# 3 28-10-2002 , 09:19 AM
Subscriber
I guess this tool can be used to construct complex nurbs work and other things, accuratly and simpler, by sketching up a set of curves/lines to help you out on the modeling.

Never the less, I'd want to be able to work with this tool in addition to the others that I have used so far.

# 4 28-10-2002 , 09:25 AM
Hmm, I get it now. Something like one of the research papers from A|W, electronic stretchtape for car designing or something, I suppose this would be the perfect example, but how to make it work?

Hmm ... this looks like my next gimbal lock. user added image

# 5 28-10-2002 , 09:33 AM
Subscriber

hmmm

That research paper sounds interesting.

Do you have the possibility to mail it to me? That would be nice adldesigner!
user added image

# 6 28-10-2002 , 09:54 AM
Hmm, seems to have worked. However I have trouble yet visualizing the usefulness of the technique. I mean, could a curve travel just like an Isoparm would do by using this technique? Or perhaps duplicate more curves and define a surface by using this intersection points?
If you get a clue or an effective way to make this tool usefull be sure to tell me how. user added image

# 7 28-10-2002 , 10:01 AM
Subscriber

Ok hehe

Can you also show/tell me how you made your result?

# 8 28-10-2002 , 10:14 AM
[working on it]

# 9 28-10-2002 , 10:28 AM
Ok, here´s how it worked.
  • Create both curves. Make sure you rebuild them to have the same number of spans. (perhaps this is needed, I always do it -for the sake of parametrization anyway-)
  • When creating both curves make sure you snap their first CVs, (like the image). I suppose this is some cheating way of making them intersect (since there is a real intersection going on at that point, but it seems to be the only way I could make it work.)
  • Now select both curves and apply the Intersect Curves Tool.

If you look closely, you can see I changed the tolerance setting there. Since I don´t know how to use the tool effectively I didn´t want to start playing with tolerances.

By the way, When you do it, pick whichever curve suits you more and move it. See how the intersection points move? Well, here´s the deal, You can point constrain a CV for a new curve to those intersection points! Great posibillities!

Last edited by adldesigner; 28-10-2002 at 10:31 AM.
# 10 28-10-2002 , 10:34 AM
Subscriber

oh one thing

It is of course the points that is interesting and helpful with this tool. Used with orthogonical views, one can add points actually onto a curve, not just one but several points symmetrically onto several curves.

I suppose I could save some trim-actions if things must be really accuratly modeled, so this tool could help me out on this.

But this yet, will all have to be experienced in a future project.

I cannot think of any examples right now user added image.

Last edited by undseth; 28-10-2002 at 10:38 AM.
# 11 28-10-2002 , 10:38 AM
Subscriber

hmm

I still dont get it, but I will now try this in Maya.

# 12 28-10-2002 , 10:39 AM

Re: oh one thing

Originally posted by undseth
I cannot think of any examples right now user added image.

Me neither .. lol.

At least now it does intersect the curves ... user added image

# 13 28-10-2002 , 11:20 AM
Supreme Being
this is actually very handy when patch modelin.. needs alot of patience though

# 14 28-10-2002 , 11:20 AM
Subscriber

Strrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike...

No Im not playing bowling...

I got it now hehe

:banana: :banana: :banana:

The history button MUST be turned off (or so I have learned just now), for the tool to present the wanted result.

:banana:

..added just now...
Or the history must be turned off before you make the curves, I did not check this for certain. Anyway, now it works.

Last edited by undseth; 28-10-2002 at 11:24 AM.
# 15 28-10-2002 , 11:38 AM
Supreme Being
thats correct undseth.. the history must be turned off when patch modelin'.. i don't recall why that is but, i'll look into it and let you know..