Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 26-07-2006 , 01:25 PM
Subscriber
gosh man i do to. but one little match and "POOF". its gone lol

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 17 26-07-2006 , 02:30 PM

Originally posted by 13th_resident
gosh man i do to. but one little match and "POOF". its gone lol

Flamable helium????

(The hindenbourg was only filled with hydrogen because the USA had a helium boycott to the Germany , and prior to that airships had never had an accident that had cost life and they had flown regulary accross the Atlantic)

Bit of history there!! LOL

# 18 26-07-2006 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
Basically that's correct. We were about to sell Germany helium when Hitler took over. As for hydrogen, yes it's explosive, but only when exposed to air. Great pains were taken to make sure that didn't happen! The Graf Zeppelin spent a decade flying around safely full of hydrogen. The reason (as it turns out) that the Hindenburg burned as it did was not so much because of the hydrogen but the paint used to dope the fabric cover (which is what supposedly ignited). Analysis of the paint used on the H-burg revealed that it had the same composition as solid rocket fuel!!! The ill-fated British R-101 had the same type of paint. Other airships (like the Akron, Macon, Graf Zeppelin, &c) didn't.

More pix to come shortly!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 19 27-07-2006 , 01:17 AM
Subscriber
it was only about a decade ago that forensics worked that paint story out, until then the ignition of the zepplin was one of the great mysteries, a bit like 'where the hell is the titanic'

great story, bad story!

take it easy and life will be easy
# 20 08-08-2006 , 03:57 PM
Subscriber
I haven't forgotten this project (or any of the other "fun" WIP's I've got going). I'm concentrating on my demo reel right now (the animated, talking character parts that studios tend to like), so the 'fun" stuff (planes, tanks, zepps, &c) is on the back burner for a couple of weeks. I also start my two weeks' active duty with the Nat'l Guard, but I'm lugging my computer with me as we'll have a lot of "down time" between concerts.

We'll keep you posted!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 21 08-08-2006 , 04:12 PM
well not to get off topic here, but as for the 'talking character parts', have you ever checked out the 10 second club?

www.10secondclub.net

they focus on animation (as opposed to modeling/texturing/lighting) and have a contest every month... i think it would be worth it for you to give one of those a go, somewhere on the site or forum they offer links to rigged characters that you can use just to practice your animation skills

Accept no substitutions.
# 22 08-08-2006 , 05:21 PM
Subscriber
Say, thanks for the link, NeoStrider! That looks like a cool website, and I will definitely enter some of these competitions! :-)

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 23 17-08-2006 , 08:32 PM
Subscriber
haha i love things which fly in the air, this is one of them...
youved done a marvelous job of it... hope to fly in one of them one day =]

# 24 18-08-2006 , 03:16 PM
Subscriber
Thank you, Marlonjohn!

One more week of active duty left! I brought my desktop (yesm DESKTOP) with me and got a LOT done on my reel, but so far no internet connection. I'm posting this from a "motel lobby" computer! I will be back up and online next Saturday! Hopefully, this project will be finished and duly integrated into my reel!

Have a great week, everyone!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 25 18-08-2006 , 04:21 PM
Subscriber
It is looking good Jim! On annual camp and taking your desktop! Haha, must have luxury accommodation off sorts, we moved around too much for me to be able to do that.

But looking forward to you posting some work from your reel!

keep it going.

cheers

Jamie.

# 26 18-08-2006 , 06:04 PM
Subscriber
Jamie!

Good to hear from you.

We have rooms on our base but we're on tour right now (I'm typing from a hotel lobby computer). My desktop is packed away for a few days, but I will set it up tonight when we get back. Interestingly enough, the rest of our tour is in New York City (where I live) at the USS Intrepid museum (I got our band those gigs! :-) ), so I should be online during my second week.

This year's tour stayed pretty close to home!

With the SM server going down a few days before I left and now me being away, I never realized how much I miss this community!

I'm looking forward to posting a LOT of WIP as well as finished work! I'm going to see if you finished that dogfight scene. Too bad zeppelins didn't make it into WWII, it might have been interesting to see how they fared as aerial aircraft carriers! :-)

See you all in a few days!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 27 27-08-2006 , 06:23 AM
Subscriber
OK, I'm back!!!

LOTS to do. Lots to do...!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 28 27-08-2006 , 09:22 AM
this would be a great thing to animate. looking forward to seeing the textures.

my names billy
# 29 27-08-2006 , 08:21 PM
Subscriber
Next up, the outrigger engines.

Historical note: These airships had the engines inside the hull (as opposed to being carried in pods outside the hull as on the "Hindenburg" and most other airships). The propellors were on mounts which could be rotated 180 degrees (a "tilt-rotor", if you will!), enabling more precise takeoffs, landings, hovering, and dynamic lift (ie if the ship was too heavy).

This is going to take some doing. This is the only picture I have of the engines in close-up. I am going to try and get in as much of the detail as I can see! Here is a picture...

Attached Thumbnails

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 30 29-08-2006 , 06:29 AM
Subscriber
ahaha motel lobby, well i look forward to the final render =]