Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 18-10-2011 , 04:24 PM

Lego Building Crane commercial

Alright, I think it's finally time for my very first post here!^^

for the past 3 months, I've done a Lego commercial as a student project for my school. from the idea what to do, writing & drawing the concept (introduction, screenplay, storyboard,...) to modelling & animating.
So basically...everything lol

This actually is my first attempt of rigging & animating characters. Unfortunately, due to limited time, there are still a couple of mistakes in there (e.g.: blue Lego figure gliding over the floor, some stiff animations,...).

But anyways, you can watch it below:
LEGO - Building Crane (commercial) - YouTube

I hope you like it and can give me some feedback. user added image

# 2 18-10-2011 , 05:11 PM
The thin red line
Very good for 3 months work, like the little story.........dave

# 3 18-10-2011 , 07:42 PM
Senior Software Developer
Very good mate, nice to see you spotted your own mistakes. Nice render and a nice little story. As you say the animation could do with some work, but it takes a long time to get animation working bang on without flaw.

I say a big Well Done to you sir.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 18-10-2011 , 07:56 PM
The Nurb Herd
pretty cool, I think as a commercial you need a strap line at the end with the product shot. It would really sell it more.
I would also try doing some legal supers it might give you more marks at school user added image For HD you need to have small print 35 pixels high not including anti-aliasing (I think this is right, i can never remember). Also all your action and text should be kept within a 4:3 safe gate, more so if you are in the US.

# 5 18-10-2011 , 10:39 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!! Really appreciate it user added image

glad everybody (including other people I've shown it) understood the story. At the beginning, I was afraid that the scene where suddenly the characters change would be confusing. But I call it "LEGO humour"...as in those Lego star wars, harry potter, etc. games (if u played them)^^

@honestdom: aw yeah, that Action-Safe gate...I always forget that thing. Why can't everybody have the same TV where everybody sees every pixel *sigh* lol.
can you please explain to me what a "legal super" is? I'm from Germany, goggled it but I'm not really finding a good answer.
and please also about that "small print 35 pixels" thingy u said? thanks user added image

# 6 04-01-2013 , 08:23 PM
Hi,
I just stumbled over your Video and it is exactly what I'm looking for at the moment.
I want to try out some Lego animation as well, but have yet to find a way to animate the faces on the characters, but haven't found anything so far. Would you mind telling me how you did it?
Thx a lot user added image

# 7 04-01-2013 , 09:19 PM
The thin red line

# 8 04-01-2013 , 09:49 PM
Looks really good, thanks a lot user added image