Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 08-10-2002 , 03:04 AM
Subscriber

Building a car wheel using NURBS

Hello all,

I'm trying to build a car wheel using NURBS, one of the Maya consultant showed us at the maya learning day...and i'm stuck on one of the steps. The tutorial file can be downloaded from www.mayaunlimited.com under PLE How to's.

The part that i'm stuck is after selecting the Cylinder and the slice that i just build-->edit nurbs-->Surface Fillet-->Circular Fillet and open the dialog box-->reset settings-->create curve on surface-->fillet button
Then go edit Nurbs-->select trim tool-->click on the cylinder w/ left mouse button (suppose to show the dotted outline of my surface) which is where the problem is.....can't seem to get the dotted outline on the surface at all...please help...stuck for a week now.....=)

Hope all you experts can help me...

Thank you all
just a newbie...

# 2 08-10-2002 , 04:15 AM
Subscriber
mmm... I just wanted to write something here, before I read your post more carefully. user added image

A trim action needs a full and connected trimline on the surface to be trimmed. So if you by chance have projected several individual lines onto a surface but not managed to make a 100% connected trimline, the trim action will not go further as to show the cool dotted outline.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 3 08-10-2002 , 04:40 AM
Subscriber
Although i dont know how your tutorial looks like, i tried the circular fillet action just now.

And if you selected "create curve on surface" in the dialog box, then you should be able to simply trim the both the TWO surfaces the fillet was made for.

You should be able to see the trim line on/around BOTH nurbs-surfaces, together with the newly created fillet-surface.

# 4 08-10-2002 , 04:45 AM
Subscriber
It would be nice if you could upload a picture from your workspace to show us the objects user added image

# 5 15-10-2002 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber

Sorry unseth

I've been busy and didn't check the site...i'll upload a sample picture later on...
I also saw your posts and other ppl making spitfire, warbirds...i love planes...and i fly r/c planes, f-16 prop jet and a p-51 mustang....but didn't learn enough on maya to do in nurbs ...someday...i'll be able to do it...

thank you for replying

# 6 16-10-2002 , 03:21 AM
Subscriber

1st picture

I picked the cylinder and the slice that i built, then went to edit nurbs-->Surface Fillet-->Circular fillet-->reset settings-->create curve on surface-->hit the fillet button

# 7 16-10-2002 , 03:28 AM
Subscriber

2nd Picture

After Fillet-->i went to Edit Nurbs--> and select trim tool-->following i click on the cylinder w/ Left Mouse Button(which suppose to show the dotted outline on the surface???) Hope this make a better display of what was my problem....it suppose to have the dotted part of the cylinder in which then CLick on the portion that i want to keep(LMB)