Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 10-04-2005 , 10:20 PM

occupation

Just a few questions for....anyoneuser added image

But anyways, just post your info here, like what your job is, and if it includes anything to do with maya, of just most of you do it for fun, and if you do use maya(3d programs) tell about your job, what kind of work you had to do lately. I dont know just curious, I guess I will start ituser added image

Jeff-16-full time student until I get back from spring break, then I have to get a J.O.B-wanting to learn maya, for fun right now but future want to possibly make it a career.

# 2 10-04-2005 , 10:37 PM
What the hell, I'll bite. user added image

I'm an animator at Amaze Entertainment working on an upcoming title for PSP. We use Maya for all of our characters and environments. Previously, I was 3D Artist at Microsoft Game Studios working on the Flight Sim product line. I used 3DS Max when I was there. I've been working in the game industry for about 7 years now. I'm starting to feel old now. :p

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 10-04-2005 , 11:29 PM
Dang, nice man..If you dont mind me asking, how much do you make? Or in general, the "field" you specialize in? Also, can you hook me up with a PSP??user added image

# 4 10-04-2005 , 11:46 PM
I won't discuss my salary, but you can find an annual salary survey over at www.gamasutra.com. Naturally, it will vary depending on the city you're in and which studio it is, but the survey has some pretty good average numbers.

As for the PSP, I can't help you there. We all had to buy our own. :p

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 11-04-2005 , 12:03 AM
Subscriber
I'm a Navy graphic artist, formal title is Illustrator-Draftsman Chief. My avatar is the symbol for specialty, a compass and triangle. I have 18 years of graphics experience, a combination of traditional mediums and digital. Started with Maya Sept 04. Use it to integrate props into 2D photoshop composition. Other than that I'm a hobbiest with. Won't discuss my salary either, but you can find military paycharts online. Plan to retire in Mar 07 and hopefully get to use whatever 3D skills I've acquired by then, probably in teaching capacity.

Good luck on your quest. I wish that I'd had the same access to software that you are enjoying, but at that time computers were four times as expensive and you had to built them yourself. When I was your age.... user added image

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 6 11-04-2005 , 12:48 AM
Let see, 29 freelance 3D artist working for simplymaya and simplymax as well as few small freelance gigs on the side when i have time. I have a degree in fine art as well as diploma in graphic design.. Hope to be a future employee of either Blizzard, ILM, weta, PDI, Pixar or Sony image works =) muhahahah

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 7 11-04-2005 , 12:57 AM
Thats cool guys, and dannyngan thanks for the link, i will look into it tomorow.
Also ya, my dad was in the marines working in NBC, but he retired and now works for Batelle(?) But ya, i have been interested in 3d for awhile now, but never really did anything about it until now. But since my dad was in the military, I either want to further my edu with 3d or go into the military as an officer, going to college is a must.
But thanks guys for the info.

Last edited by Shortay; 11-04-2005 at 01:20 AM.
# 8 11-04-2005 , 01:02 AM
Subscriber
hey kurt at pixar they had a free intern job the last time i checked lol. i dont know if i would want to work at sony or not. they dont seem to have alot of 3d things. i dont get to see their movies anyways because my theatres wont view them because sony wants a fraction of the ticket income or something.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 9 11-04-2005 , 08:31 AM
Subscriber
My name's Lisa (surprise surprise), I'm 23 and I work for the Moving Picture Company in Soho, London. I'm a Matchmove artist/TD/camera tracker/digital artist/we are called lots of things! I've worked on Kingdom of Heaven, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Harry Potter 4. I've got a degree in Computer Animation. I use Maya a lot. Like Kurt, I too would love to be a future employee at ............ (insert suitably famous and brill effects studio here!)

user added image

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 10 11-04-2005 , 09:09 AM
I'm 24 and a Technical Director at Framestore-CFC I've worked on Thunderbirds, AvP, Doom and Mrs Henderson Presents. Been doing this for nearly two years now. And yes I use maya a LOT

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 11 11-04-2005 , 10:38 AM
Subscriber
aiight, im 14, uhh, occupation, skool,:p
used maya since the beginning of march, and plan to work for imageworks as a career and work my way up

Aim:Nshad BB Court
msn:nothinbutchains@hotmail.com
# 12 17-04-2005 , 03:59 AM
I'm 18. I just started 3 mouth ago playing around with maya. its more of a hobby then anything else. I work as a Pipe Layer and as a plumber's helper. Pay is not too bad and could use a new boss but I bet most of you would say the same.

# 13 17-04-2005 , 12:29 PM
Subscriber
I'm 19 yrs and studying full time a Bsc in Computer Animation and Visual Effects at a crap university here in England, plan to enrol to Escape Studios sometime in 2006 to make up for this.
Currently spending a vast majority of time perfecting my skills as a 3D Artist in Maya, to date i've spent 1 and half years on the application.
Hope to score a junior position at end of my studies..... lol.

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)
# 14 17-04-2005 , 06:03 PM

Originally posted by lisa_gonzalez
My name's Lisa (surprise surprise), I'm 23 and I work for the Moving Picture Company in Soho, London. I'm a Matchmove artist/TD/camera tracker/digital artist/we are called lots of things! I've worked on Kingdom of Heaven, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Harry Potter 4. I've got a degree in Computer Animation. I use Maya a lot. Like Kurt, I too would love to be a future employee at ............ (insert suitably famous and brill effects studio here!)

user added image

I went to see a film screening of "The Decsent" at MPC a few weeks ago. How that comming along? Great seeing people walking in mid air user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 15 18-04-2005 , 08:24 AM
Subscriber
To be perfectly honest, I not actually sure what "The Descent" is, I haven't heard anything at work about it. I'm not quite sure that I could say how it is coming along either, if I did know what it was! I hope it was good though user added image

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/