Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 22-05-2010 , 10:05 PM
Subscriber

Boolean difference problem

I am adding detail to a rifle, part of the RIS grip. Anyways I am able to do a boolean difference with one hole but if I try to create any more the larger piece I am putting holes through disappears or is deleted...?

I tried selecting all of the cylinders and then the larger piece and then doing a boolean difference but again the larger piece disappears. It seems it only allows me to do 1 at a time.

I tried making one hole then duplicating the piece and trying it again but again the larger piece is deleted once I do the boolean...??

Attached image.

Any help on making multiple clean holes would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 23-05-2010 , 01:29 AM
Lifetime Member
n88tr,

I have just replicated your model without any drama.

Create the cylinders and put them inot the barrel. MAKE sure they are in far enough, use X-ray for this. Then select ALL of the cylinders together (no barrel) then mesh>combine

then select the BARREL first, hold shift then select the cylinders. Then go edit>mesh>booleans>difference , this should work.

Sometimes with booleans you have to change the order of selection and type of boolean operation. ctbram has a tutorial somewhere on here (I forget where) about 2 different ways of doing this.

IMO you should have a seperate face panel for each cylinder, that way you can poly split it up. You could also reduce your cylinder sub axis to 6, this is sufficient. You will still get a clean round hole.

I will locate ct's tut for you and post the link.

Hope this helps

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 23-05-2010 , 01:30 AM
Lifetime Member
boolean done

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 23-05-2010 , 01:39 AM
Lifetime Member
mate its in your own thread! ctbram has a link in there for the revolver TQ you had.

cheers bullet

P.S if you have duplicated faces or edges not merged (ie vertices not merged) then it wont work. I would watch ctbrams video again mate.

NOTE: to have a proper and clean mesh you need to split the face on the boolean you did (watch ct's tut). I have also found that in each face you NEED to draw a poly ACROSS it before boolean (union) OTHERWISE you CANT use the split poly tool to create corner anchors. Maya will not let you start on a hole. If you have any more TQ on it just post em.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 23-05-2010 at 01:44 AM.
# 5 23-05-2010 , 02:16 AM
Lifetime Member
P.S

once you have done a boolean, BEFORE you add loops or split poly's do a smooth preview and see what happens. You will find the mesh does crazy stuff, in practice you have to 'anchor' the edges of your holes etc, Maya will try to interpolat 'across' your holes with the mesh.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 6 23-05-2010 , 06:18 PM
Subscriber
Given me a lot to think about thanks.

# 7 24-05-2010 , 03:57 PM
Subscriber
I didn't bother with the booleans and just made my RIS by hand. Damn high poly, it take my laptop about 2 minutes to smooth it.

# 8 24-05-2010 , 09:24 PM
Lifetime Member
arrrrrr never say die mate....

post a pic of it mate? with the poly count on it. I will try and replicate it for you and see what I get. I will try to do it and then smash a quick vid together for you.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 9 24-05-2010 , 11:17 PM
Subscriber
You want to see a pic of my RIS grip?

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 10 24-05-2010 , 11:47 PM
Lifetime Member
Bloody oath. I am a noob and use this forum quite a bit. I have an uncanny ability to solve a lot of my own stuff through trial and error (being an Engineering Surveyor probably helps). But having an input/help/tips from other people I meld them into one and use whatever it takes to acheive my goal.

If I can help some one then I have my karma restored.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 11 25-05-2010 , 03:55 PM
Subscriber
ummm I'll give you a minute lol.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 12 25-05-2010 , 04:01 PM
Subscriber
whatevers

here's the RIS thing. It's part of gun model I'm working on.

user added image

I'll look up tri count, it's probably 10k or so, I don't remember. It's high so its smooths nicely when the gun is done and needs to be smoothed for the high poly.

# 13 25-05-2010 , 09:33 PM
Lifetime Member
ok mate,

I will have a crack at the heat sinks later in the day as an experiment, love experiments

cheers bullet

bullet1968