Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 25-07-2010 , 09:03 AM

rigging problem

just in the process of rigging a character I created, seem to run into a problem. this is my first attempt for rigging so I am follwing a tutorial the problem is I have set up a left arm ik handle which is attach to the forearm and shoulder which supposedly give the arm a little more freedom, follwing the tutorila on how to nrig they attach a locater to the wrist which I have done and parented it to the arm ik handle the problem is when I parent it, isnt it the ik handle suppose to be controlled by the locater now which mine hasnt.

any ideas what I am doing wrong?

# 2 25-07-2010 , 01:48 PM
It's been awhile since I've rigged a character but usually I don't parent a locator to an Ik handle. Instead I create a point constraint. Select the Ik handle, then shift select the locator. Then constrain>point>options box. Reset the settings and then checkmark 'Maintain Offset'. Click add or apply and that should do it I think.

If you havn't done so already, make sure you freeze transformation on your locator. That way, you can return your character back to the same pose by changing the locators transform nodes back to zero.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 26-07-2010 , 08:05 AM
Thnaks perfecto that worked as explained now my ik handle is being controlled by my locatoruser added image

# 4 26-07-2010 , 08:35 AM
another problem I encountered was I created a sphere for the elbow control and shift select my arm ik, then I went to constraints and pole vector but what happened it changed the direction of the way my arm was facing , when the sphere dictated the direction the elbow points I think. how can I rectify so my hand stay static when I use this method ??