Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 19-02-2016 , 03:38 AM
Subscriber

Ambient Occulsion issues

Using MentalRay baking to make my AO map
Working on a battle axe I made

So the thing is I can get only the front or rear to work.
  • If I set camera to Surface Front, I get the blade to render but not the handle
  • If I set camera to Surface Rear, I get the handle but not the blade
  • FaceCamera gets just what I'm looking at and nothing else... so the camera view works good but the other side of the model is black. Think of Two Face from batman

I want the WHOLE model to get baked, not one side or the other.
Ideas to fix this? My settings at the moment, Maya 2012
user added image

thank you!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 2 19-02-2016 , 07:13 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi, have a look at the surface normals of the handle. They are most probably reversed. Select the blade and go to Normals->Reverse (Under polygons menu set).
Another quick way to see if normal are reversed is to turn double sided lighting off in the viewport options. Flipped normals will display as black.

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 3 20-02-2016 , 01:14 AM
Subscriber
ok cool that did it thanksuser added image

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 4 20-02-2016 , 08:39 PM
Subscriber
a side note, do these black lines on the top of my knife look ok or should there be none at all? In MentalRay AO baker I maxed out the Fill Seams option which is supposed to fix them

attached

Attached Thumbnails