Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 30-08-2014 , 09:01 PM

HELP!! Mental Ray and Xgen Fur

Hello all, if anyone can help me I would ever so much appreciate it.

I'm using Xgen fur in Maya 2015 on a tiger that I've textured and I've gotten the UV to drive the fur in preview but Mental Ray refuses to give me ANYTHING in the render... not even the grey default fur... Nada. I've followed the tutorial to a tee and a number of times over with no luck.

Another issue my friend is having with Mental Ray is that she can't even get Maya to recognize where Mental Ray is. We've reinstalled a massive amount of times, Maya even goes as far as updating Mental Ray to SP3 but it won't let us load it in the Plugin Manager because it simply doesn't see it. Everything is right where it should be and we've tried MEL scripts to "force" Maya to load it in with no success.

We're pretty desperate here and any help would be appreciated.

# 2 09-09-2014 , 08:51 PM
Subscriber
Hi Pozzi!
Im kind of in the same boat, but Im having problems with custom Geometry/Archives. It appears all nice and beautiful in the viewport but mental ray doesn't want to give me anything either.

I hope you have arrived to a solution and please let me know about it. For now, I can just leave you with some obvious things to check:
-Preview tab : 100 percentage in the preview settings
-Output setting: set to render and mental ray. Click autoset, so it cant cut any geometry.
-mentalray settings: rendermode should be live.

good luck!

# 3 11-11-2014 , 08:41 PM
I'm having the same problems with my xGen, the hairs wont render in Mental Ray even though I have used UV maps and everytime I use the preview my Maya crashes or whenever I have density higher than 30

Last edited by xStreetWolfx; 11-11-2014 at 09:11 PM.
# 4 26-02-2015 , 12:11 AM
Hey guys, It seems not that many people in the forums knows xGen well enough to help us with this. I too am having the same issue. I realize that you all posted these a while ago but if anyone found the answer it would be of great help. Thanks for any replies.

# 5 26-02-2015 , 12:41 AM
The thin red line
You could try setting your quality to production, you have to do some thing like this for hair......................dave

# 6 08-04-2016 , 08:46 PM
I had this problem also. Turned out that in my case I had loaded the xgen description before Mental Ray had been loaded. As a result, there were no xgen materials (which are mental ray based) and nothing attached to the fur to render. I tried creating after loading mental ray, but it didn't work unless I started new scene, then loaded mental ray BEFORE opening xgen at all. As far as I can tell creating a fully functional xgen shading network requires more knowledge of xgen than I have and therefore seems best to just let the program create it by default. Hope this helps