Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 15-12-2005 , 09:35 AM
Subscriber

Stumped.

Hi guys, I've been trying to normal map a character for a while now and having a few problems which I hope someone could help me out on. Here's what I have done so far...

(The high model is fully textured the low isn't textured)

Overlay the high and low model ontop of one another
Select the high then the low mesh and Lighting/Shading>Transfer Surface Information.

Once the baking is complete I am unsure where to go from here, I presume I have to assign the file maya produces to the lower model but I must be doing something wrong, as there is clearly no texture on the model when I render it.

ps. I have also turned on high quality rendering as stated in the tutorial I am following.

Please help guys.
:headbang:

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 2 15-12-2005 , 12:35 PM
Subscriber
when the normal mapp is baked,
import it into maya as a file texture,
then take file, open the connection editor, then plug the outColor of the file into the cameraNormal of your shader.
then render with software render.
if u want to render with MR, [which is the best way] u will need to get a MR shader from here https://www.headus.com/au/samples/norm-MR/

Attached Images
# 3 15-12-2005 , 01:49 PM
Subscriber
Cheers Vlad, though when I open up the connection editor mine is completely blank, ie there is no OutColour etc, any ideas?
I went Window>General Editors>Connection Editor

# 4 15-12-2005 , 02:31 PM
Subscriber
u need to select the normal map texture then click reload right button. select shedr then click reloa d left butto in connection edtior

# 5 15-12-2005 , 02:44 PM
Subscriber
Thanks but what I mean is, when I open up my Connection editor, it is empty look at the attached pic to see what I mean, how come mine is empty?

Last edited by j5ive; 15-12-2005 at 02:50 PM.
# 6 15-12-2005 , 02:49 PM
The Maya Mountain
as vlad mentions, you have to load in the things you want to display in the editor, by selecting them and loading left or right respectively.

try not to attach such large images to the forum, please.

# 7 15-12-2005 , 02:55 PM
Subscriber
Sorry about that Mike, how do I import the baked file into Maya as a texture file? do you mean assign the file to a lambert etc? I'm sorry that I'm finding this really hard to grasp.

edit: Also which file am I assigning, there appears to be a transfer... .iff, .tga .dds?

Anyone?

Last edited by j5ive; 15-12-2005 at 03:37 PM.
# 8 15-12-2005 , 03:55 PM
Subscriber

# 9 16-12-2005 , 08:54 AM
Subscriber
yeah I'm using the jeffparrot one, but it doesn't explain which file extension to use, I have three different transfersurface files, *.iff, *.tga and *.dds, I'm really stuck, I would greatly appreciate it if you would take a little time to write out exactly what to do from the moment the baking has finished, sorry I know this may sound extremely tedious but we all have to learn from somewhere.

# 10 16-12-2005 , 10:55 AM
Subscriber
Bump.

Could someone please tell me what to do with the generated transfer file once it has been baked, in order to get it on my low poly model, I must be overlooking something simple. please please let me know I have been stuck for going on 2 weeks now and haven't progressed.