Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 17-02-2006 , 02:08 AM

toy

never finished a model in my life so please chaps, i need a push.

pretty simple so far, way too many polys as i'm rubbish at keeping them down. i'll be adding more detail in the next week or so with an aim to rig and animate sometime late feb. all new stuff to me so any advice as i go along or early warnings that i'm going wrong would be fab.

thanks to happymat27 (whose probably cringing as he looks at the picture realising i've misunderstood everything!) for the texture advice and some general messing. i need a book, maybe mike's...

any help with rendering, texturing or modelling and in fact lighting as well would be fab as it all looks a bit blurry to me.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 17-02-2006 , 02:21 AM
now he has hands!

and a pole through his body that i forgot to take out.

knackered now so i'm off to bed.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 17-02-2006 , 02:29 AM
looking really nice, I like the texturing and the lighting.

On a modelling front, the chest piece seems to have a sharp edge, possibly due to the object having no depth. Perhaps you could attempt to extrude the edges into the object itself to give the plate a bit of substance.

Other than that it seems to be going well user added image

# 4 17-02-2006 , 10:32 AM
thanks chap!

will do just that with the chest and pelvis sections to give a bit of depth. still want to keep it as light weight looking as possible so i'll be having a go at the legs later and, if i get over my mental block, i'll be modelling some kind of backbone. the pole in the second pic was supposed to spark my imagination but i guess it was just a bit late at night.

just a thought but i was thinking of sellotaping one of those childs windmills to his back to come up like a pretend radio antenna but i'm not sure the best way to make it look just right so any tips? that's on the general windmill design and how to make it look sellotaped to his back.

thanks in advance guys

# 5 17-02-2006 , 06:30 PM
Subscriber
Cringe!!!

Nah, not really! Glad to see you are actually producing some stuff to show us all. Regarding the windmill design, the best thing to do would be to get one to see how it is made and then copy it. They're pretty curvy so you could start with making a curve like that of the profile of one of the blades then extrude a surface from that.

Good luck,

Mat.

# 6 17-02-2006 , 09:19 PM
cheers mat, just trying to make you proud! who knows, i may even finish this. as it is, this is the furthest along i've gotten with anything as you well know.

good call on the curve, what i was after was how to attach the pole of the windmill to the back of my model so it looks like a child sellotaped it there. should i just do it in photoshop as part of texturing then bump map it? would that even work given the wrap around issues as the sellotape will not follow the poles contours precisely...?

still can't get a decent spine/midsection that i think would look nice so the next few pics will probably be minor details or i'll just get very drunk instead and weep at my window while it rains.

# 7 17-02-2006 , 10:37 PM
Subscriber

# 8 18-02-2006 , 04:03 PM
thanks magicsy, added a few screens to my inspiration board and already i feel the kernel of creativity.

i did note the uncannily obscured midrif shots on the cast list gallery, most amusing.

i think i may go for the chunky spine approach to match the hands and keep it light weight looking.

quick question though, i tried the extrude edge to give the chest section some depth and it looked fine before the render but after it seems the edges looked pinced at every vertice on the edge of the arm hole and the bottom of the chest. basically every egde i extruded looked poo when i rendered, why? i would post a photo but i ctrl z'd the whole thing immediately. maybe i'll do it again later if anyones interested when the missus finishes her first ever model.

# 9 18-02-2006 , 04:52 PM
Subscriber
the actual arm hole alredy looks pinced or just lacking in edges looks quite low poly in that area maybe a smooth or just add more adges to get the hole m,ore rounded would do the trick.

# 10 20-02-2006 , 01:56 AM
well after a long weekend of messing around with my daughter who finally walked unaided for the first time in her 19 month old life (wahey!) i've not got round to anything with the model.

what i will do is post an example of the 'pinching' (probably the wrong word to use, sorry magicsy) and explain what i did to get there.

following advice above i made the edges lovely and round for the arms, neck and torso. i then selected all the edges of the torso, extruded them and angled them up and inwards ever so slightly. i didn't do a smooth after and went straight to the render resulting in the 'pinched' look i mentioned earlier.

that's basically it. i've probably forgot to tick a box or something stupid, either way i'll look into it monday night a bit further when my new (and only) maya book arrives. in the meantime if anyone knows why this has happened please let me know.

hope you all had a good weekend and cheers for all the help so far

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 20-02-2006 , 02:04 AM
oh and to whoever is remotely interested there is also this model by my lovely fiancee lavinia who, never having so much as asked what maya is before, knocked it up in about six hours texture and all.

c&c and advice welcome

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 20-02-2006 , 07:05 AM
Subscriber
How do,

It looks like you have overlapping surfaces. There are a couple of modes when you extrude surfaces, global and local, I can never remember which is which!!

figure 1 shows the overlapping that can occur when you use the movement manipulator to pull the new surface towards the centre in the default extrude mode.

figure 2 shows what happens when you extrude using scale on all axis after clicking the button (shown in figure 3) on the extrude manipulator.

I hope that helps a bit, take it easy,

Mat.

Attached Images

Last edited by happymat27; 20-02-2006 at 07:28 AM.