Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 28-03-2007 , 07:08 AM
Subscriber

Nurbs seam has to go down

Hi!

Kurt always mentions to rotate the seam from a nurbs sphere or whatever downwards. BUT... why is this important? I mean after all we are gonna convert it anyway.

So long,
BadG3r

# 2 09-04-2007 , 05:05 AM
I'm sure somebody has the answer. But, I'm guessing it's just good practice to do that and may have something to do with animation because some people choose not to convert. So perhaps it depends upon your application of the model.

Good question. I'm curious to hear more.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 09-04-2007 , 06:16 AM
Senior Software Developer
Kurt models with NURBS to get his base mesh and coverts to polygon. So to shift the seam to the back means when you half the model you will not get any issues with it. Trust me this works.

Also if using NURBS and texturing you should always hide your seems so they appear for brief periods and no one really notices.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 09-04-2007 , 08:31 AM
thanks R@nSiD. I figured if Kurt said you need to do, well it was good enough for me.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 08-05-2007 , 10:12 PM