Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 24-02-2009 , 02:14 PM

How to do a loose robot arm???

Is there a way to do a broken robot arm??? By applying physics to a joint??
What i had in mind was to use a regular robot model, parent it to joints. Then try to apply some physics to the joints, like it is done in video game models, but i have no clue how to do it. Any tip????

Thx!!

# 2 24-02-2009 , 06:34 PM
Is there any other way to do it????

Tried with rigid body + hinge constrain but it won't work with animated joints when parented...

# 3 24-02-2009 , 06:44 PM
The Nurb Herd
maybe some expression/s?
i don't really know what you mean by a broken robot arm, do you just want it to dangle?

# 4 24-02-2009 , 07:17 PM
Sorry i couldn't make it more clear.
I'm going to do a robot that is walking, while it still have its arms attached, but they are all loose just moving by gravity and inertia.

It they weren't rigid, i guess using maya cloth would do.

If there isn't any way i guess i will have to animate it manually.

# 5 25-02-2009 , 01:10 PM
Senior Software Developer
You could rig the arms and then have the joints react to gravity directly, but none of the other joints or bones otherwise your character would rag doll user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)