Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-12-2009 , 07:21 AM
Subscriber

Duplicate array script

Hi,

I'm just getting started with scripting and I'm trying to create a simple script that would duplicate an object i've created in an array. I found a bunch of tutorial on how to create an array of objects with a for loop and I can get as far as that, but when it comes to duplicates, they all appear on top of each other... Here's my script:

// I'll use a sphere for the purpose of this example
//but in reality it is 2 planes grouped together

polySphere;
rename pSphere1 a1;

int $i;
for($i=1; $i<7; $i++){
duplicate a1;
move ($i*2) 0 ($i*2);
}

Any ideas?

# 2 14-12-2009 , 10:10 AM
Subscriber
i tried moving an object in 3d space and seeing what it says in the script editor

don't you need to write it as:
Code:
move -r ($i * 2) 0 ($i * 2);
?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 14-12-2009 , 05:52 PM
Technical Director
The -r after move is relative to the last position. -a is absolute, just so you don't get confused user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.