Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 03-08-2003 , 12:04 AM

FIRE/SMOKE/FLAMES

ello-

my friends and i have begun some pre production work on a new movie we wil be making which is goign to require some rather advanced vfx. we need to burn down an apartment... heh. i'm wondering if there are any good tutorials on how to make blazing fires much like a building would burn. i'm starting to ask now because i'm a newbie to 3d and vfx but i am still probably the most knowledeable and capabale in our group to produce any (and were only in highschool btw) so if anyone would be willing to help us out with some advice, tutorials or anything we'd really appreciate it:-) thanx.

-Kozmo
# 2 03-08-2003 , 01:05 AM
Check out dynamics and particles. I think that would give the effect you are looking for.

# 3 03-08-2003 , 01:25 PM
Subscriber
For your VFX it might be a good idea to go and buy this months DIGIT mag as it has a free copy of particle illusion with it. You should be able to use it to put fire and smoke into your video and it renders in real time.

# 4 03-08-2003 , 01:42 PM
Subscriber
A sample of fire using particle illusion

Attached Files
File Type: zip fire2.zip (1.16 MB, 174 views)
# 5 03-08-2003 , 07:06 PM
I have a video tut on advanced particle fire and smoke explosions here at SM in the vip area, but in your case, if the camera is "locked-down" i.e. not moving, you can always just composite 2d footage of fire/smoke/debris etc. into your shot, and degrade the bg apartment image over time.

But if you are comfortable with particles and expressions, there is always this tut: (down a lot, so save it to your machine for reference)

https://cade.scope.edu/courseware/notes/phenomena/

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 6 03-08-2003 , 07:08 PM
Again, it is also a good idea to try a search on this site for explosions, or fire, or smoke.

Good stuff has been written before here by myself, and others too.

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 7 03-08-2003 , 09:07 PM
awesome thanx everyone...ill defn hav to buy some points and start practicing. that fire video was very nice. as far as compositing real fire over the building, i hav thought of that as well, but that means we have to film fire first so to us that sounds just as probable as making it in 3d... plus the camera will move justa bit, tilting up towards the night sky so the smoke blends into it and then fade to black, thats our plan. but neway, thanx for the advice again!

-Kozmo
# 8 03-08-2003 , 09:22 PM

Originally posted by ckyuk
A sample of fire using particle illusion

reminds me of boris fire plugin...

The new voxelfire in maya 4.5 and 5 rules...

# 9 03-08-2003 , 10:23 PM

Originally posted by Kozmonut
as far as compositing real fire over the building, i hav thought of that as well, but that means we have to film fire first.....

Not nessicarily... Check out https://www.artbeats.com for some great footage for sale by the clip if you need ituser added image

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 10 04-08-2003 , 06:15 PM
wow that artbeats site is awesome. i knew that if we filmed fire wed have to set up a black background like they do - but like i said, were only in highschool, so our budget is like...zilch. the most we've ever had was just under $500, and right now were only at $170. but again, thanx for the site, if we decide to spend the money, well defn consider using the stock footage. we have many many months before post production ever even begins, so mayb learning particles in maya will be reasonable.

-Kozmo
# 11 04-08-2003 , 07:05 PM
Subscriber

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 12 04-08-2003 , 07:53 PM
Good post 3DJoe!

I forgot about the PyroMania series!

They rock as well!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com