Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 18-08-2005 , 01:53 PM
Subscriber

complete an unlimited

i only have 5.0 PLE and i want unlimited but i would also take complete. but how the hell do u guys affoard it there soo expensive is there an cheaper way of getting it ? plz help as PLE really ticks me off with the watermark and limited features. i am due to study it nxt year as a b tech (english ppl will know what i mean) an i need it so i can do some of the project at home. plz help
:attn:

# 2 18-08-2005 , 02:42 PM
Subscriber
erm... there might be a cheap copy on ebay... other than that i cant help you... either get the cash somehow or dont get the cash.

Note: your not allowed to talk about illegally getting maya on this site so dont try.

the only advice i can give you is. use your brain.

# 3 18-08-2005 , 02:48 PM
Subscriber
I wouldn't even bother looking at Ebay. Alias won't transfer the license to you. All you'd be doing is paying money for a pirated copy. If you are a student, look into getting an academic license. Same as the full version, but you cannot make any money using it.

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805

# 4 18-08-2005 , 03:14 PM
Are you a student? You can order unlimited from Alias for something around $500. That's how much I got mine(CAD). If it's for commercial use then you're looking at the thousands user added image

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.

# 5 18-08-2005 , 03:48 PM
Subscriber
well, there YOU HAVE it, every possibility laid ouT fOr you user added image

i agree with kennez you shoulDnt bOtWher payiNg for a pirated copy. if you are a student at university and your having trouble paying for equipment and Living, there shOuld be a student finAnce office where you might be able to get a grant from the university, i know of people who were in financial problems at uni and they recieveD money free, or ya cud just use ur student loan to get IT user added image

Matt.

# 6 18-08-2005 , 04:05 PM
Subscriber
Contact an authorized dealer and you can probably upgrade for $400-$600 below the full price also. Academic version can be upgrade for commercial use at prices lower than the full packages also. If you student, I recommend www.studica.com as they have very good pricing.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

# 7 18-08-2005 , 04:47 PM
Subscriber
Yeah i am goin to study Maya. its at a place near my house . the place has bin on the alias website under community . its the first of its kind in the UK . i will look into that education version it look better beacause it is soo much cheaper. WOOT. :attn: . if i get it will i be able to use it for my showreel. also is it compatable wiv full version (not education ones) as i have save stuff on PLE an tried to open it at the school wiv it but it didnt work and visa versa. cos it really need to b otherwise its not worh it.

thanks

# 8 18-08-2005 , 04:52 PM
Edu and commercial versions of Maya are functionally the same. The only difference is the EULA, which prevents the edu version from being used for commercial work. Files created with Maya PLE cannot be opened in anything but Maya PLE.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job

# 9 18-08-2005 , 04:55 PM
Subscriber
nice, its not the first maya course in england :p theres a few actually. im studying maya too. if you use copy of maya to create a show real, it can be an illegal version or student fersion or what ever, you can simply claim you did the work at uni... theres no way anyone can tell if you didnt do so, so long as you dont post a letter to alias or get a tatoo saying 'i downloaded maya' printed onto your forehead. i dont know if you can use the student version for your showreel though, maybe it says under legal information on the alias site?

# 10 18-08-2005 , 05:06 PM
You can use the edu version for your showreel but not for paid commercial work.

And enough talk of pirated versions. Unless you're chastising someone for even thinking of using illegal versions of Maya, don't even bring it up. I'm going to go on a lock and delete spree if anyone mentions it again.

This is your one and only warning. user added image

Danny Ngan

# 11 18-08-2005 , 05:11 PM
But if one does use the student version for show reels, commercial, and what-not, how would anyone know? Surely there must be some hint of some kind that reveals the truth.

Sorry, I am just asking out of curiosity. Not out of hopes of doing it myself.

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.

# 12 18-08-2005 , 08:46 PM
Well apart from the watermark in the PLE version, i dont think there is any way of telling which version of the software the work was created in (apart from certain features like cloth etc).

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

# 13 18-08-2005 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
well, if you have an illegal version of maya and you make a film and publish it, i dont think they can sue you for making money from the film, they can only fine you for having an illegal verson of maya. (i think this is true anyway)

# 14 18-08-2005 , 09:36 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
Well, let me ask this:

1)You got an illegal version of Maya.
2)You make lots o' thing.
3)Then u borrow some money from the bank.
4)Then u use it to buy a legalized version o' Maya.
5)After all, u transfer all ur archives to the project folder.
6)Then u make a lot o' money usin' it.

Is that considered illegal?user added image

Note: Oh, I have original version. I've won at lottery $10000. I also bought a cool computer upgrade.

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

Tibia is the best MMORPG that i've ever seen...xD

# 15 18-08-2005 , 09:49 PM
Don't ask, don't tell. Thread closed.

Danny Ngan