Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 01-10-2006 , 05:52 AM
Subscriber

Help!!

Hello,

I hope someone can help me out here. I'm animating a character that I've built and rigged, I have the rig and the geometry on seperate layers, playback in Maya is fine providing the rig layer is visible but if I hide the rig layer things start to go awry and the characters head appears to become disconnected.

The big problem comes when I batch render the scene, the render acts as though the rig layer is hidden and I can't for my life work out what to do about it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers in advance,

Mat.

# 2 03-10-2006 , 11:16 PM
i think if your animation works ok while your rig is visible, leave it visible but change the attributes on any objects or curves (that you have as controls) by going into the attribute editor and under render stats, uncheck all the boxes. that way your objects will still be visible in your viewport but they won't be renderable so they won't get in the way of your renders, so then you can keep the rig layer visible and get your animation to work out correctly

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 03-10-2006 , 11:50 PM
Subscriber
Thanks NeoStrider,

neat idea, unfortunately that's what I was doing. I left the control layer visible (but not renderable) while I was doing the batch render and the result was still that his head went all over the place.

I'm pretty much done rebuilding the rig now, I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the old one but I've improved it for mark 2. The main differences being that I've built a no flip knee into the legs and have hand built the IK to FK set up instead of using the awful pre-set one that's built into the IK handles on Maya, it's far sturdier now!!

Cheers for your input,

Mat.