Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 11-12-2006 , 05:17 PM

Good enough computer?

Hello all user added image

Ok I'm tired of my PC not being good enough for Maya. I just managed to skim a good enough grade at college on my last project but I already feel way behind everyone else and it's because of the lack of time and things I can do in maya (computer crashes if I attempt to texture, way too slow etc)

Sooo I'm looking for a new computer and my friend showed me this one:

Primo Gamer AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz SILENT DDR2 System - XP Home - does it seem ok?

It's just slightly over my budget (£400-500*) really so I guess I'm asking you lovely guys just in case I can find anything a teenie bit cheaper or better for same price?

Thanks! Jen

USD $790 - $985
AUS $1000 - $1250
CAD $900 - $1130

# 2 11-12-2006 , 07:01 PM
Should be fine with that, the only thing that might be a bit of a problem is the graphics card as maya can throw "wobbelers" with Gforces (ive got one and its fine) if it does you might have to install some drivers to fix the problem (free downlaod from NVidia) but it all depends on the version of maya your running in my humble experiance (Cgtalk is the place to find out which) but as I said it might be fine with itl.

Cheers

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 11-12-2006 , 07:59 PM

Originally posted by gster123
Should be fine with that, the only thing that might be a bit of a problem is the graphics card as maya can throw "wobbelers" with Gforces (ive got one and its fine) if it does you might have to install some drivers to fix the problem (free downlaod from NVidia) but it all depends on the version of maya your running in my humble experiance (Cgtalk is the place to find out which) but as I said it might be fine with itl.

Cheers

I disagree with that. I've used Maya with several different GForces (starting from GF2 GTS) and they've all worked fine.

Back to the topic. The setup looks fine. Tried to see if you can get a similar system cheaper by buying the components separately and assemble the machine yourself?

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 4 11-12-2006 , 08:26 PM

Originally posted by kbrown
I disagree with that. I've used Maya with several different GForces (starting from GF2 GTS) and they've all worked fine.

Back to the topic. The setup looks fine. Tried to see if you can get a similar system cheaper by buying the components separately and assemble the machine yourself?

I was pointing out that there might be a problem with a Gforce card, since they are not qualified by autodesk. My personal use with maya and with a gforce cards has been the same as you, fine, but ive seen lots of threads on different forums where people have had some glitches running a gforce cards, hence why ive pointed it out.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 11-12-2006 , 10:57 PM
Yeah. Sure it is possible. I have worked with so called professional/qualified/approved cards too and to be honest they haven't been better in any way. In fact a couple of years old Wildcat card I worked with had more issues than my current geforce 6800 gt... Guess nothing's perfect...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 6 12-12-2006 , 01:29 AM
Subscriber

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 7 12-12-2006 , 01:51 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by starjsjswars
Costume build ftw! www.newegg.com

haha yeah i though about that once ...
sounds like a sweet computer mate.

marlon

# 8 27-12-2006 , 11:52 PM

Originally posted by starjsjswars
Costume build ftw! www.newegg.com

Ha yeah! I know I know, custom building is best but I haven't a clue how to do it and wouldn't dare. I break things far too easily!

# 9 27-12-2006 , 11:56 PM
No worries with that setup you got planned.

Maya still works fine with my old 32bit athlon xp 1800+ , 1gb ddr pc2100, and ATI AIW 9600xt.

GG,
Long P. Nguyen