Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 121 09-08-2007 , 12:03 PM
Subscriber
Yarrr. Much better. Well done man.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 122 09-08-2007 , 02:43 PM
19 year Veteran
Looking great Gster123! user added image That texture is just what he needed. This should look awsome when you put some SSS on him.

# 123 11-08-2007 , 04:22 AM
Yeah - good work Steve - this is really coming along. user added image

Did you decide to lose the starfish?

# 124 13-08-2007 , 01:01 AM
Lifetime Member
This is looking great ..some serious z brushing, i'm going to go play in my sandpit now user added image
You big boys make me feel so small ..lol

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 125 15-08-2007 , 06:58 AM
Cheers Guys,

Hey arran - Forgot about the starfish, I turned its visability off in the sub tools menu and forgot about it! dont think I will now though.

been having a bugger of a time getting the texture right in Z, can get it lookin goo there, take it over to maya and it looks naff! Need to figure a decent material to use, and possible some post in photoshop so it fits.

Took me a while to figure out how to use displacements with the SSS shader and keep a decent level of detial to the mesh as it seemed to smooth it all out.

Gonna give a "proper" go to see what I can get from the base mash up to the level 6 mesh (which the displacement will be generated from, going from about 1300 polys to 1 million, see if I can get away with it)

Might need to model a bit of an environment for him to go into??

Cheers for the comments

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 126 16-08-2007 , 09:58 PM

Originally posted by gster123

Ive been following the flow of the model using a different alpha this time, gonna go with this one me thinks!

u made the right choice user added image looks superb

# 127 17-08-2007 , 04:17 AM
Cheers man.

Been working on the textures/lighting etc.

I really need to work on my texturing as its not really up to speed

The model has a 2048 map for the colour, displacement, bump, spec applied on the head, a 1024 map for each of, colour displacement, bump, spec for the hat, and a 1024 map for the eyes, probably an overkill to be honest but thought why not!

All of it has been painted in Zbrush, I decided to not use any proto textures in the end, just poly painted it then exported the map and gave it a bit of adjustment in photoshop, the eye was painted just in PS

The head's got the SSS shader and the mix20 applied with a blin to control the specular.

Theres 4 lights in the scene, 3 areas, 1 spot and a hdr map to give a environment for the background and to get some nice break up on the reflections, although theres not much difference between it with/without it.

I might up the render settings as its at a realy low quality, taking 10 mins to render a frame which I dont think's too bad, theres no post processing in PS, just a straight render from maya.

Any crits/comments appreciated

Cheers

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

# 128 17-08-2007 , 04:41 AM
Subscriber
well done model is looking great - think the texture around the ear needs some little work, and the eyes not looking right yet

but not feeling the background.

# 129 17-08-2007 , 04:48 AM
Cheers man

I think that the ear might be the AA setting as its set to -1 in mental ray, very low, i'll see how it looks when I up the render settings, I had a look closer in when I was setting up the SSS shader and it looked ok, if not i'll give it a tweek.

Im thinking of moving the camera angle so you can see more of the environment (which I'll probably make) ship deck style, i'll probably add some DOF to it to blur it out.

I chose that environement as I wanted a dark stormey look to it, it was a map rendered from Vue 6, I could probably make a sea for it in vue, then again i'll probably get better results using maya for it as the copy that ive got at uni's not got extreme.

I mihgt also make the lighting with more ofa blue tint on the key light to give it moonlight look, possibly give it some reddish tint to the others as if its lit from a flame.

# 130 17-08-2007 , 04:54 AM
Jr.Who
Wow, this looks really good, much better than I thought!
user added image

# 131 17-08-2007 , 07:06 PM
Bit of a close up showin the eyes, still cant nail them correctly though!

Its still at a low AA setting at the moment, might up it and give it a render from there

# 132 17-08-2007 , 07:08 PM
Damm, forgot the image!

Attached Thumbnails

# 133 18-08-2007 , 12:57 AM
oh cool! looking very nice mate - it's great to see the shader on him. this has really turned out well.

It might be nice to have a bit of an environment - maybe the edge of a deck and some rigging. (is that the right sea term? not sure, i'm a bit out of it)

also - despite his fish skin, i think he's looking a bit shiny at the moment.

Good job mate! user added image

# 134 18-08-2007 , 01:18 AM
Cheers Arran

I'm quite liking the shineyness of him, kinds slimy like you wouldent to touch him with a 10 foot cutlas!

Then again I might turn it down as ive been looking at him for ages!

Ive added a touch of paint FX to give him some weed's and corral on his hat.

I'm currently rendering a full blown "portrait" render at 768 x 1024 upping the anti aliasing and adding some more final gather, just too see what might need tweeking, the render times gone from 10-12 mins up to 1hr!

For the environmnet i'm running out of time (not with the challenge deadline but with workload) so I might render out a ocean then comp him into it, just to get rid of the gray in the background.

# 135 25-08-2007 , 06:10 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Steve

Looks good dude, nice n slimy! Whats the deal with the eyes? Are you using an sss shader or standard maya? If you are using sss on them I'd switch it to a blinn for the innner eye and a phongE for the eye shine. No reflection, no spec etc though on the inner eye, but for the outer eye keep the hilite small and reflections low.

Cheers
Jay