Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 10-04-2012 , 03:29 PM

Texturing Hunted House

Hi

i am a beginner in maya -i have some questions on the hunted house texturing tutorials .

1)why do we use uv editor technique and then plugin to Photoshop to color the hunted house - instead of using hypershade editor ?

2)what's the difference between these two thechniques ? (PS and Hypershade)

thanks in advance

anthony

Last edited by anthony77; 10-04-2012 at 06:05 PM.
# 2 10-04-2012 , 03:59 PM
EduSciVis-er
Not watched the tutorial, but all three of those are necessary.
Photoshop is for painting textures (you can't paint in UVTE or Hypershade)
UV Texture Editor (UVTE) is for arranging your UVs so that the paint is properly applied from 2D space to 3D space around your object.
The hypershade is for organizing your materials and connecting them to objects and to each other (more complex texture and shader properties can be arranged here)

Hope that helps.

# 3 10-04-2012 , 05:59 PM
but why paint it in photoshop? does PS colors have better quality than the hypershade ? i know i can't paint from HS but i can assign colors to selected materials.

e.g. add lambert >> set color >> assign to material- instead of dedicating hours to arrange objects in UVTE...

i haven't apply the texturing yet because it seems to be very exhausting (arranging objects in uvte and then paint it)

can the hypershade be an alternative for that ?

thanks for your replyuser added image

# 4 10-04-2012 , 07:54 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
well its not just about painting colors in PS, its also about being able to create bump, secular, diffuse, etc maps that can help bring out your texture. Plus if your trying to create something like a wood bench you have a lot more control over your textures in PS. Grabbing a photo from cgtextures.com and then editing it to your liking in PS for example.

# 5 10-04-2012 , 08:17 PM
Although you can assign colours to objects and faces in the hypershade, and even procedural textures, you really want to learn about UV mapping and an 2D image application like photoshop. Especially if you're even a little serious about CG. Creating textures (hand painted or photo manipulation like ozgalis says) is an essential part of making stuff look good.

and UV mapping isn't as daunting as it first appears, after a while it becomes easier, if always a little tedious user added image