Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 22-10-2003 , 09:40 PM
Subscriber

problem with viewing the site

Well, for the past day and a half, I have not been able to navigate Simply Maya as I always have. It's the scrolling that is messing up. It skips a lot when I scroll and it takes about 10 seconds for words to appear when I type in a post message thing. It's a little better right now, but the scrolling is still a problem. You know how the board buttons on the main forums page change color when you hold your cursor over them? Well, it takes about a split second longer for them to change as opposed to them instantly changing like they used to. The pages still load as fast as they used to though. That's a good thing. lol

I have gone to several other websites and they all seem to work fine. No problems with scrolling or anything. No lag at all. I did, however, go to two other vBulletin forums and had the same problem. None of the other forums I went to had this problem; just the vBulliten ones. This is very strange to me. I don't know if there is a script my browser doesn't like or what, but it's really annoying.

Like I said, this has only been this way for a day and a half. At first, I thought maybe it had to do with my graphics card or something with all the flashy buttons and images all over the place, but that can't be because I've been going to SM on this computer forever.

Here's the weirdest part: I pulled up the task manager to see what my system resources looked like. When I bring up something like Gamefaqs.com or vgmusic.com the resource meter jumps maybe 300-500k upwards. When I pull up a vBulliten site, It jumps up 15,000-20,000k. I exit out of a vBulliten site, and it promtly drops to its original state.

Any ideas on what I should do? Should I contact vBulliten about this problem? I can't imagine why this would happen.

# 2 23-10-2003 , 05:38 AM
Subscriber
hmm... it does sound like your browser doesnt like vBulletin forums.. what are you using? IE? and what version

-Emo

# 3 23-10-2003 , 12:08 PM
Subscriber
AOL 8.0 but I have used 8.0 for a while now and have never had this problem before.

*edit* ok, I'm in internet explorer right now and I'm still getting some lag.I have deleted my temp internet files, but still no luck. That doesn't seem to be the problem.

Last edited by Darkware; 23-10-2003 at 12:12 PM.
# 4 23-10-2003 , 07:19 PM
Subscriber
AOL uses IE so the problem is from IE... not AOL..

try going to Control Panel, Add/REmove, and find Internet Explorer..then instead of uninstalling it, check the "Fix" option

-Emo

# 5 23-10-2003 , 10:05 PM
Subscriber
Didn't work. I talked to my computer teacher at school and he suggested I change the settings in the internet explorer security settings window to promt for active X control downloads or something. He said that if you have it to automatically download/install (whatever) then it mught install viruses or something. I did this, but had no luck. He also suggested that I download ad-aware and scan for ad-ware and spy-ware. I did this, but had no luck. He suggested I delete my temp internet files. Already did that though.

This is getting really annoying because SM is my favorite site and it's no fun if I can't navigate it fast.

# 6 23-10-2003 , 10:09 PM
How about trying with Opera? or NetScape?

# 7 23-10-2003 , 10:35 PM
Subscriber
I'd reformat my entire computer before using Netscape. Windows is set up to purposly make Netscape have multiple errors as I've been told. I don't really want to fool with another browser either. I'd like to just solve this problem. There has to be something wrong and it has to be fixible.....

# 8 23-10-2003 , 10:40 PM
Well, you could always format your OS partitionĀ“s and start again.
ThatĀ“s what I did a few days ago. (Had trouble with Adware)

IE does not report a problem in my end. (Ver 6.0.28)
Hope you can fix it, although truth to be told I would do what I mentioned.

# 9 23-10-2003 , 11:18 PM
Actually Netscape works quite well with Window$.

...and that is how I saved the world.
# 10 23-10-2003 , 11:21 PM
Subscriber
grrr. Formatting takes so long though. I just reinstalled everything less than a month ago. Who says the probalem won't come back, too? Whatever happened the first time around might just happen again. If I can't pin-point the problem now, I might never get to the bottom of it. If it can happen once, it can happen again. It has to be something internally wrong with some setting that caused something to change or something that allowed bad content to be downloaded automatically. I haven't downloaded any questionable things that would have contained a virus, so I'm sure that's not the problem.

This is sort of why I want to solve the problem instead of trying to avoid it.

# 11 23-10-2003 , 11:24 PM
Try seeing if any changes have been made to your registry by other programs. That is changes that would conflict with your internet "experience". user added image

...and that is how I saved the world.
# 12 24-10-2003 , 02:37 AM
Subscriber
Check what programmes are using the net at the same time as IE.

# 13 24-10-2003 , 03:00 AM
Subscriber
or there is always a hammer!

I have "fixed" a few cpu's that way before user added image

# 14 24-10-2003 , 10:52 AM
Kevin
damn AOL 8.0 ! I didnt think anyone used AOL user added image you poor guy...

hope it clears up for you, I did have similer probs but it was through gfx drivers.

# 15 24-10-2003 , 09:01 PM
Subscriber
Dockode - don't know how to do that.
Witchy - no other programs are using the internet at the same time as AOL.
Howard - bad idea.
Kevin - the thought that it migt be a graphics issue has crossed my mind, but I don't know what exactly the problem would be or how to fix it.