Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 01-12-2002 , 04:39 AM

WarCraft3000 wallpaper

I made this wallpaper for the upcoming WarCraft3 mod "WarCraft3000". Tell me what you think.

mahalo,

Myk

<a href="https://www.metic.net" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="_blank">www.metic.net</a><br />
# 2 01-12-2002 , 11:04 AM
Subscriber
it is a cool wallpaper.

some things come to my mind which could be improved. looks like you made the dof effect in a post by blurring the front and the back. maya can do better. you should focus on the helmet, and increase the fstop to higher than 11, if not even 22. this will create a noteable, but decent depth effect. if it comes to placing the helmet, dont put it exactly in the middle. it will look more professional if the center of interest is NOT in the center of the image.

keep it up

# 3 01-12-2002 , 11:07 AM
Subscriber
oh forgot, a bit fog in the scene will make it even more real. it is seldom clear in the real world ...

# 4 01-12-2002 , 11:29 AM
Increasing fstop makes the iris smaller (fstop is a divider) and thus deeper focused area. By setting a small fstop you get more blur.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 5 01-12-2002 , 11:47 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by kbrown
Increasing fstop makes the iris smaller (fstop is a divider) and thus deeper focused area. By setting a small fstop you get more blur.

yes exactly. but this is a landscape scene. and the object that is to be "photographed" is not in the front. if you make portraits and the face is in forground and you want to make make it stay alone infront of a blurry background, i would go as low as 1.4 for the f-stop. unfortunately my slrs biggest f-stop is only 3.5 user added image

# 6 01-12-2002 , 01:40 PM
Hmm..Ok, I got your point.

Let's take this issue a little further because this might not be clear for everyone. With the Focus Distance you control what objects are sharp at which distance. With the fstop you just control how deep is the focused area. This way you can get blurred foreground, in focus middle area and blurred background.

Focal Length and Focus Region Scale (this is a synthetic setting not found in real cameras) has also a big effect on the DOF effect. By increasing focal length you also increase the blur effect. With the focus region scale you can adjust the sharp area artificially. Personaly I leave this at it's default setting of 1.0.

Here's a real world example. In my Canon XL1s I have fstops from 1.6 to 16 (and close). In the footage I have a large iris (fstop = 1.6) and rather big focal length (zoomed in). Only thing I'm controlling here is the focus ring (focus distance). First the fence in foreground is sharp while everything else is blurred. In the middle of the video both the fence and the trees in the background are blurred but some area of the rain in between is sharp (except for the motion blur). In the end both the rain and the fence is blurred but the trees at background are sharp.

I hope this makes any sense...

The file is about 950 kB

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 7 01-12-2002 , 05:31 PM
Subscriber
Great grass though, Kudo's to you.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>