View Poll Results: Is Game violence getting out of control?
Yes 1 6.67%
No 9 60.00%
Don't know/ Don't Care 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 09-01-2007 , 09:41 AM
Subscriber

"Mortal Kombat" Documatary

Check it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIu3JMGxk3Q

I was just wondering what all you guys think about the subject.
It'll be interesting to watch this when it comes out.

EDIT- Opps i got the name wrong, it's 'MORAL' Kombat

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge

Last edited by Some Guy; 09-01-2007 at 09:45 AM.
# 2 09-01-2007 , 01:29 PM
Subscriber
"mortal combat", dang i was excited when i saw lol!

about the documantary, its very interesting ... i am a gamer myself and spend count-less hours on the computer at my home or even at lan cafe practising with a bunch of friends.

yeah i kind of agree that it is getting out of control with all the violence and that but it is entertainment and fun to play and without a doubt i dont relise it, but in real life thats not on. the gaming industry will never stop making violent games since they are getting the money in there hand and games will be more violent the next month and so forth... well thats my say,

yeah i agree, it will be very interesting when it goes to air. just wondering if you knew what date it would be out on tv etc?

marlon

# 3 09-01-2007 , 01:54 PM
Game violence is out of control?

Certainly not! Violence in games has never been out of control in my opinion and it isn't right now - the same goes for language and 'drug references' and everything else thats 'bad' according to those censor people.

# 4 09-01-2007 , 02:21 PM
Subscriber
not to attack you or anything...but dont you think putting a gun to someones head and shooting them point blank, running over someone with a car or also beating up someone with a golf club violent?

what do you call violence/violent?

Last edited by marlonjohn; 09-01-2007 at 02:23 PM.
# 5 09-01-2007 , 02:51 PM
From my own experiance of playing games (from the old days of the Commodore 64) they have got more violent as the computers to play them on have got more powerful.

I think that if your of a cirtian age (not that I know what the age should be) to know what your doing in the game is violent and not acceptable in sociaty and you take it as entertainment then theres not a problem, the problem seems to be with people that are unstable or kids who are too young to know that it is violence that manage to get their hands on the games.

In the end though the term violence and the availability of the images etc has changed over the years, for example the most violent thing you could see is whatever was on the gorest video/DVD, now a from a internet search engine you can see hostages being beheaded and ex dictators hanging, which has nothing to do with fiction and entertainment, also the scary thing is that it appears to be coming almost to being the norm when one of these things happen.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 09-01-2007 , 02:57 PM
God of War simply wouldn't be the same if Kratos was knitting and picking flowers throughout Athens. user added image

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 7 09-01-2007 , 03:03 PM
Subscriber
"I think that if your of a cirtian age (not that I know what the age should be) to know what your doing in the game is violent and not acceptable in sociaty and you take it as entertainment then theres not a problem, the problem seems to be with people that are unstable or kids who are too young to know that it is violence that manage to get their hands on the games."

i totally agree with you. i reckon that if your mature even to play it and not bring it into society its okay... but some people are not which leads to total chaos.

lol nitroliq

# 8 09-01-2007 , 03:41 PM

Originally posted by marlonjohn
"I think that if your of a cirtian age (not that I know what the age should be) to know what your doing in the game is violent and not acceptable in sociaty and you take it as entertainment then theres not a problem, the problem seems to be with people that are unstable or kids who are too young to know that it is violence that manage to get their hands on the games."

i totally agree with you. i reckon that if your mature even to play it and not bring it into society its okay... but some people are not which leads to total chaos.

But then the video games are not the real problem, right?

People always need someone to blame. The jews, Karl Marx, Marilyn Manson... or computer games. Why not focus on the real problem? user added image

# 9 09-01-2007 , 03:48 PM
Subscriber
"But then the video games are not the real problem, right?

People always need someone to blame. The jews, Karl Marx, Marilyn Manson... or computer games. Why not focus on the real problem"

lol Husam.. you reminded me of this thing i saw on tv but cant remember quiet well... it was about something bad and about music like people get angry or something and they blamed marilyn manson for that... lmao

# 10 09-01-2007 , 03:55 PM
The Maya Mountain
there has always been some sort of media outcry against some new-fangled entertainment format that people fear will destroy society. In the 1800s, it was books (can't let our women read! They might start actually thinking!), then comic books, rock and roll, tv, movies, and now games.

Next will probably be cell phones or something. :p

# 11 09-01-2007 , 04:12 PM
The video definitely has a fundamentalist slant to it. The media industry (TV, Cable, News, Internet, etc.) and the changing world has brought these things like violence, sex, etc. and shoved it in your face whether you like it or not. I've no problem with a video game rating system. We should have one. What I feels is the most important thing is parents taking an active interest and talking with their kids...not that this will stop them if they go over a friend's house to play GTA...similar to sneaking into an "R" rated movie when underage...but talking to them and being an important part of their daily life is important. There are always going to be kids who aren't "quite right" in the head and shoot up a school...the media will sensationalize and place blame on FPS games or whatever else.

I remember all the craziness with AD&D back in the 80s...some unstable kids whose characters died, causing them to commit suicide....the magic symbols used...all these things....or what about backwards masking? Ozzy's "Suicide Solution"...Judas Priest going to court...etc.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 12 09-01-2007 , 07:56 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by marlonjohn

yeah i agree, it will be very interesting when it goes to air. just wondering if you knew what date it would be out on tv etc?

marlon

I dont know. I think it is early this year but i ant verify that. I doubt australia is gonna see it for a while though.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 13 10-01-2007 , 01:21 AM
Subscriber
"I dont know. I think it is early this year but i ant verify that. I doubt australia is gonna see it for a while though."

dam ok... btw nice picture lol, had that when i went to the beach the other day. user added image

# 14 10-01-2007 , 02:43 AM
marlonjohn > 'not to attack you or anything...but dont you think putting a gun to someones head and shooting them point blank, running over someone with a car or also beating up someone with a golf club violent? what do you call violence/violent?'

If its in a game then its not wrong. Anyways, I do most of what you describe already in numerous games. If its in real life, well thats wrong and you will probaly get the chair or spend a very long time in prison. As for what do I call violent, I think what we see on the news every day is. And whats on the news is real, not a bunch of red pixels.

I think that the whole thing about games being bad for kids is unjustified. Most games are not even targeted towards kids, its a misconception among certain groups of people that if its a game, it has to be for kids. If we were to restrict the content in games and turn them into tea parties then 80% of users are going to be very bored.

# 15 10-01-2007 , 05:12 AM

Originally posted by The Architect

I think that the whole thing about games being bad for kids is unjustified. Most games are not even targeted towards kids, its a misconception among certain groups of people that if its a game, it has to be for kids. If we were to restrict the content in games and turn them into tea parties then 80% of users are going to be very bored.

The problem starts when the "kids" get hold of the games. Your right, theres no way a developer would aim, say GTA was at the average 10 year old, but the problem still exists that they can get hold of them in someway or another, thats why things get censored or age restricted as its up the the adults to educate the young.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle