Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 04-02-2007 , 08:05 PM

Ideas for Modeling

ok so this is the deal,
in two weeks im going to start a project in school with the goal to make me a Portfolio site for myself. and i planning to have some 3d models and now i need some suggestions what i should do.

I would love if u gave me some ideas they should be moderate level in skills and it could be anything. i would love the help with spawning the ideas

and if u have any nice suggestions on Design on the website, they are welcomed too user added image:attn: user added image

# 2 04-02-2007 , 08:39 PM
Senior Software Developer
For your site for a portfolio and a demo reel. its your choice of what you want to do... We cant tell you what to model, only that make sure it is your best work. In the beginning it will be mostly school work, but look around you for inspiration, its human nature to covet what we see everyday.

Find objects you ignore everyday and visualise them. Look at them and imagine them as primitives and how you would go about creating it.

Put your best work in your final portfolio and try to keep out school work as it wont be your best. Work on as much as you can handle, but deal with only 1 project at a time and complete it. Lots of guys here will have projects that lie unfinished on their Hard Drives and Network Drives.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 04-02-2007 , 08:53 PM
i will keep that in mind thank you user added image

# 4 05-02-2007 , 12:45 AM
I think most people will keep their ideas to themselves - or at least the good ones . Your best bet is to keep it simple to start with and to really focus on doing stuff that you are sure will keep you interested through to completion.

I would agree with everything that R@nSiD said, except for just focussing on one project. I think it's really good to have more than one thing on the go at any one time - I've always found that I get bored pretty quickly so it's nice to be able to take a break fom one project and focus on something else, plus it will give you fresh eyes when you return to the previous model.

I really wouldn't worry about not finishing a project - the main thing is that you are still learning from it - if you are just working on something to finish it, than you will probably suck the life out of it. I think it was da vinci who said that 'A work of art is never finished, only abandoned'. Stupid old codger.