Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 19-05-2007 , 02:10 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
probably wrong, but is it Ralph Fiennes ?

# 17 19-05-2007 , 02:14 AM
Nope mate, althought it might have a passing resembelence to him.

The clue's in the last line of my previous post.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 18 19-05-2007 , 02:51 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I thought it looked like Christopher Reeve

Could I be wrong, its been known...Arhhhhhnollld Schwarzennegger? or McBain LOL

Jay

# 19 19-05-2007 , 03:05 AM
yeah - i was seeing a bit of christopher reeve too.... it's not kiefer sutherland is it - just cos you mentioned detonators....

# 20 19-05-2007 , 01:51 PM
Subscriber
I'm guessing it's Bruce Willis.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 21 19-05-2007 , 02:00 PM

Originally posted by Some Guy
I'm guessing it's Bruce Willis.

amen Bro!

Been doing a bit of tweeking on it to get the basic shape, its really hard to get decent ref as most of the time the pics he's either smiling , frowning or doing some other manerism!

Also its quite hard to actually go an model an actual person and not just use some ref as a guide and mod it from there.

Once i'm happy with the overall shape i'll dive into Zbruch to "attempt" to get details going. I'll post up some progress in a bit.

# 22 20-05-2007 , 01:46 AM
Looking at that makes me wonder, why would you even make a base mesh in maya that would take that long, when you can simply go straight to Zbrush, do some box modeling and import it back to maya for adding meshes or extrusions. How long did it take you?

# 23 20-05-2007 , 02:04 AM
Not too long really, about 4 hrs or so, most of that weas tweeking it.

The thing is that I wanted to have complete control over the topology of my base mesh, which I dont feel that I have in z brush at all, might be me not been comfy with the software but thats that really.

Also I dont really think that z brush gives you the option to box model, as saay you would in maya, max etc, Ive never really seen an example of box modeling a head using it, only using Z spheres and then going from there which is a bit of a pain for a head and it takes a while to get the topology right using that method too (IMHO) so really, for me theres not too much difference in speed.

If I was to bash out a head using Z brush (say using a sphere or a zsphere model then dividing a few times and not giving thought to the topology) then it would be a lot quicker but it wouldent really learn me much.

# 24 20-05-2007 , 03:38 AM
Well, Zbrush can be similar in a way by moving vertices symetrically. You probly didnt start with a sphere on low divisions and then moved points, then edge looped them and moved them more and finally divided. Maya needs reference and cant be used to make a face without it by navigating easily. I used Zbrush before Maya and I find Maya should be used for cars and rendering. I dont know which version of Zbrush you use, but this is a great post that Im sure you'd find useful: https://zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthr...light=topology

Great site for things: www.zbrushcentral.com

# 25 20-05-2007 , 04:14 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Everyone needs references for any model in any given software, you'd be a fool not to use it in Maya, Zbrush etc...

Im not hitting back here at Zbrush as I am the proud owner of Z3 but as far as edge loops go (speaking from production experience here) Maya is probably a little easier to use than Z right now. Select, click, done! Z is probably a little more finicky in that area. I think most people tend to model from another package first then export to Z to add the 'goods' after. Though you can start with Zspheres, spheres or a cube to get going. Though Ive found these model types are rarely used for animation, hence the use of imported meshes.

I wouldnt pidgeon hole Maya into just rendering cars out though, thats kind of ignorant, , consider the character modeling animation and rendering that goes on in movies and games.

Cheers
Jay

# 26 20-05-2007 , 04:39 AM
I definately use reference in maya. But I have never used it in Zbrush. Maybe because I didnt install the plugin for reference images. I dont know how I can model cars in Zbrush. But then again since I started in Zbrush, I find it much easier to model in it. Mostly because of easier angle navigation.

# 27 20-05-2007 , 12:22 PM
XtremeAMX - I'm not too sure what your getting at with you need references in maya, for me I would use ref all the time be that in z, maya, modo etc etc.

I love using z brush and I've tried to model from scratch using Z but couldent get my head round it for building up topology, even looking at Z central etc.

# 28 20-05-2007 , 04:26 PM
Well a bit of an update, Ive tweeked the mesh in maya to get a better likeness (hopefully you can see who it it's going to be) now off into Zbrush to add more detials and some better definition.

Any crits or comments appreciated

Attached Thumbnails

# 29 20-05-2007 , 08:27 PM
good job gster! user added image you're definitely beginning to get a likeness. the only thing that stands out for me is the mouth which just looks a little stiff at the moment.

Yippee-ki-yay, mother****er!

# 30 20-05-2007 , 08:53 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
nice job g-ster, although i still think it's ralph fiennes:p .
but seriously;
-the nose is a little to sharp
- the lips need to be smaller(less wide)
-the chin needs some more definition
- his jaw needs to be wider
see the picture, in maya turn the head to approx the same angle and crossrefference the image with your model

i know its a w.i.p. and you probably would be coming to this yourself, but i'm saying it nonetheless:p

Attached Images