Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 46 12-06-2007 , 08:01 AM
Subscriber
heh, I was only kidding about the dust. this is an impressive render. I know I have maxwell somewhere in my files. Makes me want to take the time to go find it.

I NEED A JOB!
# 47 12-06-2007 , 07:58 PM
Subscriber
hey blazer, whats your next thing your going to make now since your like finished up on this one?

Marlon J

# 48 12-06-2007 , 09:06 PM
First I'm gonna finish off the c-64, just dirty it up a bit. Then I think I'm gonna model a monitor... I have a monitor modeled, but it's the one I had for my Amiga, so it's too new. Have to decide what monitor to model. (I only had a TV to my C-64, I'm not 100% sure which ones was common)

# 49 13-06-2007 , 11:02 AM
"Are you keeping up with the Commodore, 'cause the Commodore keeping up with you?".....

Sorry about that - massive 80's flashback!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8pK_q-_6dw

Totally awesome work DJ, I love what you've done so far. I was one of the few lucky kids who's dad paid the extra for a 5.25" disc drive. I only waited 15-20 mins for a game to load (my poor mates with cheep dads had to wait 3 times that for their tape drive to run its course - LOL).

I don't think you should model a monitor - 99% of uses had a 34cm TV set with a manual UHF dial (I seem to remember the C64 broadcasting on the UHF band). So for the sake of authenticity, model an old TV set user added image

Dave.

PS: Damn good renders!

"If you think you can or if you think you can't....... you're right!"
- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 50 13-06-2007 , 11:45 AM
Thanks Tiddles,

hehe, that commercial rocks!

Yeah, maybe I should go with an old TV instead... none of my friends had a monitor either. I'll see if I can get some good ref pics of some old TV.

Did a couple of more renders of the TAC-2.

Attached Thumbnails
# 51 13-06-2007 , 10:54 PM
Subscriber
That looks very impressive. Looks loke i may need to dig out my old C64.

Originally posted by DJbLAZER
I also couln't find any dimensions of the computer when I searched for it, so now I've just eyeballed it. (since I don't own one myself)

If you still need the dimensions etc, i can messure one up.

We still own 2 different version C64's with a 1541 disk drive and a few tape drives. Also a whole stack lode of tapes.
I might fire it up tonight. Still use the emu's to play games.
Favoite game was Creatures 2, gory as hell but nice.
C - Clide,
R - Radcliffe
E - Exterminates
A - All
T - The
U - Unfriendly
R - Repolsive
E - Earthridden
S - Slime.

I guess this means i'm SAD user added image

Keep up the grat work.

# 52 14-06-2007 , 01:41 AM
Thanks dude,

a bit too late for the dimensions, too much work to change them now, although I appreciate it.

I also use emu's a lot, although mostly for Amiga (WinUAE).

# 53 14-06-2007 , 03:53 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the reply, sorry, first time i've logged in for a while, only seen this thread today.

your work is great, looks so realistic, same goes with the tape deck.

I can't help you out on a monitor as we only hooked it up to a normal tv. Got an Amstrad CPC monitor user added image

I'm only just getting back into the swing of moddeling after a long break from it.

Thanks.

Last edited by flamemaster; 14-06-2007 at 03:58 AM.
# 54 17-06-2007 , 08:57 PM
19 year Veteran
Awsome work DJbLAZER! Your renders are always top notch!

# 55 19-06-2007 , 04:46 PM
Subscriber
Fantastic work, all nurbs I presume. Id love to see you try a formula 1 car... user added image

# 56 23-07-2007 , 04:03 PM
hey DJbLAZER - i just wanted to ask you a quick question - when you're laying out UVs for a project like this, how much do you worry about sewing them together - I guess because the main body is all one color with a few scratches and marks here and there, do you even bother sewing them together, or do you just do a quick automatic / planar map and leave it at that?

Sorry for the noob question or if I'm not been clear - just trying to get my head around texturing and any help you can offer would be really appreciated.
user added image

# 57 24-07-2007 , 03:51 PM
Just picked up on this thread today. Looks awesome. Brings me back to my first gaming and programming experience.

I used to play the C64 on a big@ss color TV. Not at all like the black/white in the commercial. It was amazing. Still is. Wanne play those games again???
https://www.c64.com/

# 58 16-09-2007 , 03:06 PM
I just found out that I didn't see these replies until now... a tad late, but I'll answer the questions:

Minstrel: No, there's no nurbs at all actually. All polys.

arran: Depends on how complicated the texture is. But it's exactly as you said. If it's pretty simple, just a automatic mapping with some basic editing and sewing is sufficient.

# 59 17-09-2007 , 02:48 AM
# 60 17-09-2007 , 02:41 PM
what is maxwell?